strange motor noise..need help!!

TheBigEdbosky

no... but your mom does
Established Member
hey guys i need help trying to diagnose a noise. my friend has a 02 gt 4.6 with a procharger and aprox 8-10lbs of boost. the block is bone stock it has a spec clutch and a cat back but not much more. the procharger is the biggest mod on the car. anyhow he was leaving my house and decided to get on it. the car sounded like it spun hard through first and second then he went into third, but then quickly let off the gas. he said the clutch let out a nasty squeal and then he coasted. by then he was home. then he said the rpms dropped hard as he was pulling in the driveway causing it to stall. he got it started to get it al the way in the driveway but the car was making a nasty ticking sound. i went over to take a listen and the sound had a rapid pace to it and sounded as if it was in the valve train (like a lifter tap). the car fired up and ran with no problems other than this ticking. we didn't rev it for fear of damaging something further.
as far as the sound from the clutch, i imagine that is from that brief moment where the motor slows down rotation quicker than the trans and driveline. but this ticking has me stumped. what should we look for. i thoght matbe he lost a cam follower but the motor dosen't sound like it has a miss. could the lifter be shot from high rpm's maybe collapsed or lazy.
help me out if ya's can. thanks guys

flamed notch

Established Member
I have a 2000 sc saleen that has the saleen series 1 blower.i have the same thing happening except when my car is cold you dont hear any ticking at all unless you put a load on the car,but when the car gets to running temp,the ticking is there.Its not bad and in neutral you only really hear it when you give it a little gas,like around 1500 rpms,but when you put a load on the motor you can definitly hear the ticking.My ticking sounds like a exhaust leak tick,but we have already checked that.I had a friend of mine who is a mechanic look at it,they placed a tube inside the oil filler tube on the valve cover and said the noise got louder in their.I've ? alot of people and I've heard maybe a valve guide,a rist pin,a sleve around the piston,and also the lifter the cam rides on.I will hopefully have the valve cover off this weekend so i can see if anything in there is wrong.I'll keep you informed if you want!

TheBigEdbosky

no... but your mom does
Established Member
yeah deffinately. let me know what you find out. i will keep you posted as well. i'm leaning towards the cam follower/lifters as well.

TheBigEdbosky

no... but your mom does
Established Member
nah, deffinately in the motor. sounds like someone is tapping the block with a small hammer, but really fast.

flamed notch

Established Member
just wanted to let you know,me and a good friend did some more testing tonight and now we are leaning more to a exhaust leak now,possibly a cracked manifold or a gasket getting ready to blow.also go to modular fords.com look in the forums in the 96-04 mustang talk and look under my thread 2v ticking noise PLEASE HELP!!!!there is alot of helpful replies that might help you,and 1 guy even has a small video of what his motor sounds like with a bad rod bearing.hope yours isnt that!hope this helps you out.

Users who are viewing this thread