Strange mechanical issue. Dealer is stumped.

JOK3R

Established Member
I bought my '14 GT about 2 weeks ago. I've now been to the dealer once for this issue, and have to return tomorrow morning.

At around 40 mph, up to 60 mph, I start hearing a "wubwubwubwubwub" sound that I originally thought was coming from the driver-side front wheel, but now sounds more like it's in the drivetrain. It is most noticeable at 60 mph in 6th gear, then letting off the gas. If I press the clutch in, or go to neutral, the sound gets much softer, but does not completely go away.

I noticed this last week. The car had about 380 miles on it at the time. When I took it in, they were booked solid for a few days, so I took it in this morning. They originally said the tire was over-inflated from the factory (40 psi instead of 35 psi :bored:) and that the problem was fixed.

I picked the car up and immediately heard the issue again, so I went right back, and the Service Director rode with my on the highway, testing various speeds and gears. He agrees he hears the noise, but is stumped. At this point, I noticed my tranny (MT-82) and rear are clunking and clicking a lot more than what I believe to be "normal".

We go back to the dealer, he looks up some crap on his computer, then asks me to get 1000 miles on the odometer and bring it back. On the way home this afternoon, the original noise, and the clunking/clicking start getting a lot worse. I called the Service Director back, and he promised to take care of me tomorrow morning. I also called Ford, and got a call back from some regional director apologizing and telling me they will investigate the issue with the dealer.

Anyways, the car only has 592 miles on it now, so I am pretty pissed off. :fm: Any idea what the issue could be? The dealership seems to have no idea where to start, which is also a great concern to me.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Is it a 3.73 car? Take out your rear seat and see if it gets louder. Sounds like when your cruiseing on the gas and its the loudest it most likely is the differential. A good drivetrain tech will be able to pinpoint it with a set of chassis ears.

mjohns930

Established Member
It is probably a driveshaft noise. After I had new gears put in mine under warranty and it was making a noise like you are describing at highway speeds. I went back and they rotated the drive shaft in relation to the pinion flange and it got a lot better. From what I understand these cars have a "noisy" drivetrain so a sound like this can pop up pretty easily if anything is just a little off.

JOK3R

Established Member
Is it a 3.73 car? Take out your rear seat and see if it gets louder. Sounds like when your cruiseing on the gas and its the loudest it most likely is the differential. A good drivetrain tech will be able to pinpoint it with a set of chassis ears.

The Service guy did mention he wanted to try some chassis ears when I hit 1000 miles (this was before I called back when the problem got worse)

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
i would go to another dealer. probably a rear end issue. maybe a bad pinion bearing. is hard to tell really but someone that knows what they are doing will lead you right to the problem.

JOK3R

Established Member
It is probably a driveshaft noise. After I had new gears put in mine under warranty and it was making a noise like you are describing at highway speeds. I went back and they rotated the drive shaft in relation to the pinion flange and it got a lot better. From what I understand these cars have a "noisy" drivetrain so a sound like this can pop up pretty easily if anything is just a little off.

I'm pretty used to Mustangs and their trademark noises, but this car honestly is driving and sounding worse than my '95 GT with 120,000 miles :nonono:

I will ask them to look at the driveshaft tomorrow. Thanks for the input :beer:

Nuar

Established Member
Man, that has got to suck. Brand new car. Hope they take care of you quick. Good luck man.
Im also thinking the rear differential might be at fault.

JOK3R

Established Member
Man, that has got to suck. Brand new car. Hope they take care of you quick. Good luck man.
Im also thinking the rear differential might be at fault.

It's pretty much shit right now man. I hope it's just something simple and they fix it and that's the end of it. :shrug:

GottaBoss

Established Member
Sounds to me like something is wubbing. :-D

Sorry, I know that's not helpful at all but I just couldn't help myself. :nonono:

Hope you get it figured out quickly. I'm sure it's frustrating.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Sounds like a driveshaft issue. If not that something on the tranny

JOK3R

Established Member
i had that wubwub sound too.. it turned out to be alignment issue in front wheels. did you check your alignment?

Yep, I forgot to mention, the dealer checked alignment, front suspension, and brakes the first time it was in.

D.T.R

Established Member
^ That
sounds like a deffective tire for sure. Can't you borrow another local 5.0's stock wheels/tires to see what happens?

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
two weeks????
I would be threatening them with the lemon law.
either fix it or trade for another car.
at least your getting a free rental right??

JOK3R

Established Member
two weeks????
I would be threatening them with the lemon law.
either fix it or trade for another car.
at least your getting a free rental right??

That will be my next course of action if the issue is not resolved today.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
If it was cupped, wouldn't I hear noise and get a vibration at all speeds?
Not really. Due to resonance it may only occur ar certain speeds when you hit the crest, or trough of the sound wave perfectly.

Have them perform a low speed and high speed balance on ALL tires at the speeds you experience the sound.

Make them also watch the wheel and tire for any noticeable wobble in the sidewall or tread.

Last edited:

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Not really. Due to resonance it may only occur ar certain speeds when you hit the crest, or trough of the sound wave perfectly.

Have them perform a low speed and high speed balance on ALL tires at the speeds you experience the sound.

Make them also watch the wheel and tire for any noticeable wobble in the sidewall or tread.

yep this. My 2007 Tundra has a bad flat spot on the one tire, just don't drive it enough to replace them yet. Doing it soon before the weather gets bad, and you really only feel the bad vibrations/issue from it from 35-60 mph. Anything over or under that and you'd never know.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Have the dealer replace your drive shaft, thats the issue i had the same sound your describing with a shaftmasters driveshaft , didn't bother with doing the 180 degree remount just replaced it with dss cv joint drive shaft and no more wub wub wub....sold the shaftmasters drive shaft ...

Users who are viewing this thread