strange intermittent missfire/popping especially on hot starts

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
I've been struggling to find the cause of this intermittent misfire my car has been having. I've changed all the plugs and coils as well as adding 60lb injectors before my retune. I will also add that the car had the issue with the old coils plugs and stock injectors. It tends to pop and stumble on hot startups and last for 15 seconds or less then it clears right up and runs perfectly. It has only done it once on a cold start. Keep in mind it does not do this on every startup, only once in a while. Sometimes it will do it a few times in a day and then it can disappear for a week and not do it at all. My initial though was maybe a lazy lash adjuster that takes a few seconds to pump up. But I don't believe that would cause a misfire or stumble. My second guess was possibly a lazy secondary chain tensioner thats bleeding down and allowing slack in the chain that may throw off the cam timing. But if that were the case I'd imagine that there would be audible chain noise or clacking. The popping can be heard more dominantly on the passenger side as well as through the passenger side tailpipe. I've been trying to datalog the issue but naturally the car will not do it when I have my handheld/laptop plugged in. The stumble is worse sometimes and not quite as bad other times. Here's a video below. It clears up by the time I get around the passenger door

[youtube_browser]7NOlIJ-biVg[/youtube_browser]

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm thinking anything with the cam would be really loud and noticeable and I don't think it would just go away. Could possibly do with something with the valves or injectors.

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
I'm thinking anything with the cam would be really loud and noticeable and I don't think it would just go away. Could possibly do with something with the valves or injectors.

Wouldn't you think a valve issue would be more consistent?

MG0h3

Established Member
I guess im missing the misfire.

Possible you have a leaky injector or maybe its just something in the tune.

EDIT: just saw it was doing it before the injectors.

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
I guess im missing the misfire.

Possible you have a leaky injector or maybe its just something in the tune.

EDIT: just saw it was doing it before the injectors.

The car also did this with the stock injectors and previous tune from the previous owner

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
Update: I've changed the upstream 02's. No change. I was also able to datalog the issue but not exactly sure what to look for. The short term fuel trims on both banks look good. Anyone..?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Was anything added to o2 harness for any reason..

I recall having issue with o2 harness and water/moisture

would spit and spudder for few secs than clear

For mine it was some cracks in wires ..mostly only when wet or raining..

Some times with exhaust changes harness gets to close and heat of exhaust causes issues

just something to think about..

btw what plugs are you using and gap

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
Was anything added to o2 harness for any reason..

I recall having issue with o2 harness and water/moisture

would spit and spudder for few secs than clear

For mine it was some cracks in wires ..mostly only when wet or raining..

Some times with exhaust changes harness gets to close and heat of exhaust causes issues

just something to think about..

btw what plugs are you using and gap

Nothing was added to the harness. I'll have to go through the wires and look for any issues. I have TR6's gapped at .032 but the car did this with the autolite plugs it had in there from the previous owner. As for the maf, I cleaned that already with no results

Users who are viewing this thread