strange clutch problem.

sinnedam

Established Member
Car is a 97 vert. I just bought the car in october and have yet to figure this out. The clutch is supposed to be new with 5K on it. It doesnt seem to be slipping, the car will spin in first 3 gears with some coercing. However, if you are doing a lot of stop/go/stop/go like maybe in a line of traffic or heaving pullout like on a hill, i can smell clutch badly.

Whats the deal?

Thanks guys

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
That's the only thing I can think of either, are you slipping the clutch in traffic at a nice low rpm?

Try this to make sure the clutch isn't slipping, rev to around 3k in 3rd gear and plow the pedal to the floor, the revs should climb nice and slow with the acceleration of the car, they should not shoot up and then come down at all.

sinnedam

Established Member
hhhmmm, well i dont think its the way im driving it, cause every other 5 speed ive driven hasnt done it, and it has done it to other people i have let drive the car as well. I will try the 3 grand theory tonight.

Thanks

texas_svt

Established Member
The cable may be out of adjustment, so the disc and pp don't fully engaged. Try Ciotti's suggestion. If the revs shoot-up then settle, even just a few hundred rpm, then you may need to have the clutch adjusted.

Users who are viewing this thread