Strange behavior @ the Track??Help!

BADBOLT2

Established Member
I went to the Track last night and had some issues with the car.
Running 26x11.5x16 ET Streets @ 12.5 psi, as usual 60' times all in the 1.6's.
Then the car got very loose in 2nd and 3rd gear in the upper rpms.I had to "pedal" it to keep from hiiting the wall or crossing the center line!
I was never able to make a full pass.
After the last run I noticed a "jingling" sound coming from under the car.I got home and found the problem.After having my MM subframe bushings installed last week the Shop negected to bolt my parking brake cable back to the drivers side lower control arm.The brake rotor also appeared to have some slight "blueing",as though the e-brake was hanging up.
After attaching the cable this A.M.,with the rear of the car on jackstands I tried to turn the tires to see if the would move freely.There does seem to be some resistance.I'm also hearing a kind of "clunk" Clunk" noise and some "creaking" from the halfshafts.
Is this normal or did I hurt something??
I even started the car on jackstands and let it idle in gear under load.The noises seem worse in reverse than 1st.
My 16 yr. old Son rode his bike next to me and says he could not detect any noises while driving.
Could a bad CV joint/halfshat cause unstability at high speeds and still hold up to 4-5k launches?
If I have a problem i'd like to correct it before launching a halfshaft and possibly causing more damage.
I'm a little stumped on this one,and apprciate any thoughts!

Last edited:

BADBOLT2

Established Member
I forgot to mention one of my Lower spring isolators is not fully seated.
Any ideas??
I'm going back to the shop that did the SF install Mon.

Pred_mech

Established Member
check the fluid level in the rear. There is a vent tube on top and some might have come out? Mine had noise and I added some fluid and it went away..

BADBOLT2

Established Member
Thanks Sonic.How do I check the fluid? Is there a plug?
I just turned 16k,maybe new diff lube is in order anyway.
I suppose the halfshafts may be a bit noiser with the wheels off the ground and the susp. hanging down making the cv joints work harder?

Last edited:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
This doesn't sound good. I think to be safe, I would do a complete inspection of the rear end assy. It sounds like the car may have an axle/side gear issue. At your hp level, that can kill you if it lets go. It will pull so hard to one side or the other you will not believe it.

BADBOLT2

Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
This doesn't sound good. I think to be safe, I would do a complete inspection of the rear end assy. It sounds like the car may have an axle/side gear issue. At your hp level, that can kill you if it lets go. It will pull so hard to one side or the other you will not believe it.

Would there be any external tell tale signs of a problem,or would the rear cover have to be removed and tolerances checked?

Users who are viewing this thread