Strange 31 spline c-clip axle problems

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Anyone else having problems with these axles bending at the radius where the flange meets the axle shaft?
I have now bent 2 more for a total of 3 so far.

Strange Engineering says they know of no reason for them to be bending like that but they were very professional and have agreed to try to resolve the problem.

Dana

Last edited:

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
Are you saying that you are twisting the axles when you typed "bending"?

If so that is some serious power. I can't understand how an incorrect installation would cause that? Running c clip elims correct?

How did you find out you were bending them? Do you mean bend as in no longer straight and causes wheel to wobble?

Are the bearings destroyed as a result?

Rog

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
No, they are not twisting, at least I don't think so.
They are bending at the outer edge, where the axle shaft meets the flange that the rotor mounts on.

It appears that they are bendng at that radius there.

The axles appear to be running true at the edge of the differential housing. Bearings feel and look ok.

If you jack the car up, remove the wheels, put lug nuts back on the rotors and and run the car up in 4th gear you can see the flanges and rotors wobbling. You can see the caliper move in and out at least 1/8 inch. The drivers side is worse than the passenger side.

No c-clip eliminators. Just a regular 8.8 with an Eaton & 3.73 gear on E.T. Streets on 16 inch Weld XP Pros

Dana

Wilson & Co

Established Member
Oh OK

Well, Just to be sure I'd remove the rotor and mount a indicator to the outside flange and try to pinpoint how much runout you have. Do it with the rotor on and off.

Possibly the rotor?

Check the bearings too.

Just guessing at this point

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
I know what you mean, but the runout is so pronounced that if you look inside the rotor, you can see the flange moving.

And the up and down play in the bearings is minimal.

Strange is going to look at them as soon as I can get them up there to them.

Wilson & Co

Established Member
Good Luck solving that one.

Might I ask what are your short times? My 90LX has Strange 28 spline axles and I cut consistent sub 1.58 times and best 1.53.

I spray it off the line, wheels up and no axle failure in 3+ yrs.

Something's STRANGE.

sorry had to.

wahoo's 03

Established Member
I had this problem with axles that I ran in my 94 lightning. To solve the problem I had 9" ends welded on and went with c-clip eliminators. I just think these cars are to heavy and with the torque they produce is to much for the c clip axles...JMOA

Last edited:

Wilson & Co

Established Member
Originally posted by MidLifeC
Didn't Joe Lynch have the same problem in his '99?

I know his halfshafts would twist.. Never heard anything about solid problems...but then again I don't follow everything he does.

trey193

Established Member
Dana I am wanting to say alot of the GT guys are having problems out of them as well. May do some searching on corral or modulardepot.

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
there is one thing almost everyone overlooks...

you MUST make sure the brake calipers are not pre-loading the rotors.....you have to adjust the caliper pistons so the brake shoes aren't putting pressure on the rotors when the wheels are bolted up! You have to check this essential measurement while the wheels are off.....to do this you simply tighten open end lugnuts until the rotor is secured. Then you install the calipers and check to see what you have to do to adjust them or shim them in some cases to make the rotor not have any preload from the brake calipers....this is causing your problem, hermann:beer:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Wilson,
That was bad.
60 ft times are low 1.60's.
I am also spraying off the line (525H/560T).
The front wheels aren't coming off the ground yet because I can't hook well enough with the E.T Streets.

Hermann,
If what you are saying was a problem, then the brakes would be dragging constantly, right? When I assembled the axles, I insured that the calipers were centered over the rotors and in fact had to shim the driver's side (mtg. bracket) slightly to center that one.
I'll re-check the clearances when the new axles are installed, thanks.

I'll search a few of the other forums to see what I can find.

Thanks guys.

Dana

i8u

Established Member
WHat are you talking about herman?

Dana,

Are you saying you have measured the axles every time and you are sure they are bending where you described?

How much runout and thickness variation did your rotors have?

Maybe it is time for a diet.:lol: JK

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
I don't have the equipment at home to measure the runout, but it was AT LEAST 3/16 inch. A LOT!! That is measured at the outer edge of the rotor.
The bend appears to be betweeen the outer edge of the exciter ring and the axle flange, probably at the radius.

Yes, the damage each time seems to have occurred after a trip to the drag strip. There are about 10 passes on these axles.

The rotors that are on there are the stock factory rotors and look to be in good condition, but again, I don't have the tools to measure the runout. I will probably take them to a local shop and have them run the rotors up on a brake lathe and measure them for me to see if they are still useable, should I need them in the future.

I am going to replace them with new slotted GT rotors to get the 15 inch wheels and tires on the rear when this is fixed.

ya, I know I should have skipped breakfast before that last trip to US 41.
Dana

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
let me explain further...

when you install the calipers on the rotors with the wheels off and without bolting up the rotors to first check for preload they go on easy due to the fact the rotor isn't pushed up tight on the axle face, and when you bolt the wheels on you are pushing the rotor against the brake pads in effect bending the mounting face on the axles if the caliper piston isn't adjusted properly...thats why the factory makes the caliper pistons adjustable....you can move the pistons in or out to suit the adjustment your particular setup needs so they won't be pre-loaded and cause failures such as these...i run the strange axles on my mid 10 sec 03' and have never had a failure on the dozens of irs conversions that i have done...this is hard to explain what i'm trying to say about the pre-loading but i have seen weird things like this happen due to pre loading the axles with misaligned brake calipers....hermann

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
OK, an update here.
I was mistaken about the location of the bend. Although the bend appeared to be near the flanges it was not, but was closer to the middle of the axle. They inspected and measured the axles this morning. And did some other tests on them.
The left one was bent 0.100 inch at one point, the right one was not as quite bad.

The people at Strange Engineering were every accomodating and replaced the axles for me today. They determined that all of the axles I had were made prior to their latest heat treating process revison and that may have lead to the failure.
They have modified their specs on the treating process to improve the strength of the axles since mine were made.

The other possible cause or a contributory cause is axle tube flexing or bending. In other words, when the car launches, the tubes bend, but then spring back to their original position. This is a very common occurrance on F-Body cars, not as much on the Ford 8.8's.

They are interested in seeing the results in a car that had problems, so I guess I'll have to take these new axles out and see how they hold up. :) :)
They are aware that a lot of these types of conversions are being done and want to provide a reliable product.

It is a pleasure to deal with a company that stands behind their product.
And thanks to everyone for their input.
Dana

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Add Technical Consultant to Strange Engineering to your resume.... Very interesting thread, Dana. :beer:

I hope you don't have to take the axles out too many more times. :p

Users who are viewing this thread