Stranded on Freeway in my 03

03rocks

Established Member
Sunday morning my car started sputterin like it wasn't getting enough fuel while cruising down the freeway. When I looked down to check my gauges I noticed the Temp gauge was rising rapidly. As I was trying to get to the shoulder the temp pegged and the motor died. I figured the computer probably cut the fuel pump to save the motor from the over heated situation. This all happened about 2 miles after I left my Hotel on my way to an all Mustang show in Tri-cities WA. Needless to say I didn't get to enter my car in the show but after finally getting the car towed to a safe place I was at least able to go see the show.

:cuss:

After having to stay for 2 extra days and missing a day of work I finally got the car into the Ford dealer on Tuesday morning to get it fixed. It turned out the thermostat was stuck in the closed position. I was shocked that such a simple mechanical device could go bad after only 13k miles.

At least now I know that Ford's Roadside assistance program works really well. Everything was fixed under warranty and I was on my way Tuesday afternoon. It was a pretty frustrating weekend but at least Ford took care of me the way I would have expected them to.

:burnout:

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Never heard of that happening. How quickly did they pick up your car? Did you get the free rental car that you are supposed to get with SVT?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I have heard of it happening before and actually had it happen on my old truck once. While its not a comon occurance it would be one of the first things I would check on a vehicle that just all of a suddon overheats.

03rocks

Established Member
It only took 45 min. for a flatbed tow truck to show up. I would have changed it out myself but I didn't know where it was. I'm used to it being on the intake manifold and wasn't about to dig into the 03.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
It's actually easy to get to since you can readily see the thermostat housing with the hoses attached from underneath the front end.

Jerky

Sum Sum Bling Bling
Established Member
Sorry that happened, I'm glad (as you are I'm sure) that it was something simple to repair.

:beer:

03rocks

Established Member
After it was fixed the service guy told me that it was inline in the lower radiator hose. If I would have known that I would have fixed it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread