Straight pipe cobra ?

Sideways_SVT

Established Member
Thinkin about straight piping the 01 cobra..got stock manifolds ..stock hpipe and flowmaster 40 cat backs...i have 3 options...

1 take out the flows..weld in pipe...60$
2 Hollow out back 2 cats for more sound more flow...free
3 Order slp lm1 and have them welded in ...250$

ive watched the exhaust thread..no straight pipes..now before everyone starts telling me theyre favorite setup...ive looked through you tube for days listening and comparing and the lm1 is my fav hands down..

but i like to be different..so if anyone knows or has heard or has a vid of a n/a cobra with cats and straight pipes..would u mind telling me how it sounds..

thanks all !!!

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
A couple years ago before I did my exhaust in my sig, a friend of mine worked at a exhaust shop and I had the stock h-pipe at the time, and we cut off my stock mufflers and put in straight piping, I still had the four cats did not hollow or cut them and it didnt sound bad got some compliments to I ran this for a little while till I got a o/r X and flowmaster catback, sorry I dont have a video. But if I were you Id just get the slp catback and a off road x. You would get more perf. and better gas mileage.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
A straight pipe DOHC 4.6 Cobra sounds like @$$ to me, I have heard a couple. The 4.6 does not have enough cubic inches to pull it off.

Sideways_SVT

Established Member
Awesome. Thanks for the replies. @ black it sounded good you said was it a deep kinda tone or that cut off mud truck sound ? Just need a little more info before I put her under the knife lol and yes I'll post a vid when I do it

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I never did straight pipes like you are talking about. But I did pull my exhaust off, stupid high center, and was running out of the headers till I fixed it. It sounded great on WOT, crappy every other time. I also ran the LM1's, but with headers and off road x. It was the same, great on WOT, crappy the rest of the time. It was not a deep sound at all. I'm sure the stock manifolds and H will help, but I would recommend just changing the crossover. That was one of the best mods power wise for the money.

fangs99

Established Member
there's a guy i know around here that strait piped his 4.6, it sounds like a farm tractor in the low-mid rpms and a dirt track/ mud truck in the upper rpms. mufflers add tone, depth and quality to the exaust. you can pick up a used o/r mid pipe for $100 +- and will make the bigest difference to your exaust system.

FORD4U

Established Member
i use to do alot of exhaust in our family owned buss. and we did straight pipes on a 98 cobra, sounded horrible, very raspy crackly, you might like that sound, it was loud and higher pitched. lose the cats and keep your catback for now untill you can get something else that you want. just my 2cents

trxcobra

Established Member
im running mac LT's, catted x, and LM1's and it is super loud but sounds awsome everywhere i go people compliment on it. Might have a little to do with my built and cammed motor but either way i would definately consider this route.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
A straight-piped Cobra will sound exactly like the M55 exhaust. Very raspy and crackly. Taking mine off soon since it is way too loud - unless you like the Harley sound.

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
BBK Xpipe into flowmaster is too effing loud. straight pipe is nuts.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
BBK Xpipe into flowmaster is too effing loud. straight pipe is nuts.

Really? I don't think my Borla Stingers with my Magnaflow X is crazy loud. I mean it is loud but not so loud you can't think to yourself. I think flows are very quiet but that's me :beer:

For Straight Pipes......Don't do it get something like the LM1's or Stingers :rockon:

Sideways_SVT

Established Member
Thanks guys. It's done. Just ordered a set of slp loudmouth 1 from American muscle. Trying to find a used o/r x pipe on craigslist sooo guess when I get back from Nashville they'll be sittin on my doorstep. Vid coming soon !!!

2001cobravert

Established Member
Thanks guys. It's done. Just ordered a set of slp loudmouth 1 from American muscle. Trying to find a used o/r x pipe on craigslist sooo guess when I get back from Nashville they'll be sittin on my doorstep. Vid coming soon !!!

You'll love the lm1 catback, I know I do. I'm running it with stock manifolds and a Dr. Gas off road x-pipe. :rockon:
Can't say that my neighbors like my setup but they are a**holes anyways. Plan on upgrading your stereo system also.:beer:

Sideways_SVT

Established Member
There's a couple x pipes on the Atlanta craigslist so I'll keep my eyes open on there for a good deal. I can get a upr for like 99$ new with military discount so if nothin turns up soon I'll just go that route .......thanks to all again for all your input really is appreciated

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
I would install the SLPs before you get an o/r X pipe. SLPs are stupid loud/raspy with no cats. SLP LM2 are alright with no cats, but I wouldn't do the LM1s.

Users who are viewing this thread