Storing and transporting E-85/E-98?

04sneaky_snake

Established Member
Okay guys, so after TX2K11 I was wanting to try and figure out a way to transport E-85 or E-98 with me whenever I go to events.

So my question is

1) How long can ethanol be stored without starting to degrade or build-up moisture?

2) I want to have 55 gallon drums to store it in (much like C16 drums). Is there anything special I need to look for? I figured I'd use plastic/poly drums so there would be no risk of corrosion or rust.

3) What type of pump would I need to be looking at? Would it be best to get it in plastic as well, and what about leaving the pump in the drums? Should I just remove it and seal the drums whenever they're not in use?

I'v dealt with C16 before, but I know ethanol is quite the different beast. I plan on doing my fuel system upgrade this summer, and just want to have a way to transport a drum or two with me when I go to HPDE events or meets like TX2K11.

Thanks ahead of time!!!

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Okay guys, so after TX2K11 I was wanting to try and figure out a way to transport E-85 or E-98 with me whenever I go to events.

So my question is

1) How long can ethanol be stored without starting to degrade or build-up moisture?
It can be stored as long as you want as long as the container is sealed.

2) I want to have 55 gallon drums to store it in (much like C16 drums). Is there anything special I need to look for? I figured I'd use plastic/poly drums so there would be no risk of corrosion or rust.
Plastic would work well.

3) What type of pump would I need to be looking at? Would it be best to get it in plastic as well, and what about leaving the pump in the drums? Should I just remove it and seal the drums whenever they're not in use?
Any plastic hand pump will work just fine. You would want to close and seal off the container when not in use.

I'v dealt with C16 before, but I know ethanol is quite the different beast. I plan on doing my fuel system upgrade this summer, and just want to have a way to transport a drum or two with me when I go to HPDE events or meets like TX2K11.

Thanks ahead of time!!!
Once you go to E85, you won't ever look back to C16.

04sneaky_snake

Established Member
WOOO!!!! Thanks Kevin!

That pretty much answers everything I need! Now to just get my fuel system setup and start feeding on liquid gold.

Thanks again bud!

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
What about storing it in a 5 gallon jug in the garage? how long till it stars to go bad? i imagine it would be different since its a 5 gallon jug and not a drum.

04sneaky_snake

Established Member
What about storing it in a 5 gallon jug in the garage? how long till it stars to go bad? i imagine it would be different since its a 5 gallon jug and not a drum.

From what I've seen, not really. As long as it's sealed I know it can last at least a few months before it starts to go bad.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
until i moved my car down to Houston in preparation for my move back down there, i had made a trip to Amarillo to fill up a 55 gallon drum and 5 VP 5gal jugs with E85 and stored them in my garage. I had no issues, just keep the container properly sealed as mentioned and you'll be fine.

2k4Terminator

Established Member
until i moved my car down to Houston in preparation for my move back down there, i had made a trip to Amarillo to fill up a 55 gallon drum and 5 VP 5gal jugs with E85 and stored them in my garage. I had no issues, just keep the container properly sealed as mentioned and you'll be fine.
How long would that generally last you?

Users who are viewing this thread