Storage advice please

bssmith1220

Established Member
So this is the first year I have had the pleasure of owning a "weekend car" and the ability to keep it in the garage. Anyone have any tips or advice of what to do before or during? Should I keep it on a battery tender all winter, will the tires flat spot, should I start it occasionally, any fuel stabilizers, anything else to do or not do? My garage is detached, and technically has heat although it's baseboard and expensive to run all winter if it's not necessary. Any advice is appreciated!

bssmith1220

Established Member
What about the half tank/full tank with stabil opinions? Any reason as to why one is better than the other?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
What about the half tank/full tank with stabil opinions? Any reason as to why one is better than the other?

Not having a full tank of gas creates a bigger chance of condensation in the tank.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Full tank of gas, and park it.
Change your oil BEFORE and AFTER

Before and after? That is beyond overkill. I live in Minnesota, where winters are long and very cold. I've never done that, and I've changed it before or after storage. To each their own I guess.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
Full tank of fuel with either additive, Stabil or Star Tron. I am trying Star Tron this year.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I never store with full tanks. A few of my cars don't get driven often. If I store them with full tanks, they will always have old gas in them. I store them with very little gas, but fire them up and take them for a short drive every couple months or so.

I also don't worry about changing oil before storage. I just change it on schedule.

Everyone's storage techniques will be different. It depends on how long/harsh your winters are. I live in TX and can drive year round.

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
I store with stabil and full tank. Put battery in my basement on tender. Never got any flat spots. Never start mine either. Also change my oil per mileage or every spring. Before and after makes no sense. If you dont run the car it wont get really any condensation. Thats what happens when you start it and let it warm them just turn it off.

T3RM1N8R_18

Established Member
This winter I'm changing it up per my detailer. He asked if I used a car cover, I said yes and he immediately said STOP! I'm doing full tank of gas with stabil and the battery on a tender with no car cover. I change the oil every spring.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Before and after? That is beyond overkill. I live in Minnesota, where winters are long and very cold. I've never done that, and I've changed it before or after storage. To each their own I guess.

I grew up and stored a lot of cars while I was in the Army up in the Green Bay area.
I am an A&P mechanic; most things I do are over kill.

Is it going to be CATASTROPHIC if you don't? Lol, probably not.

Last edited:

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
This winter I'm changing it up per my detailer. He asked if I used a car cover, I said yes and he immediately said STOP! I'm doing full tank of gas with stabil and the battery on a tender with no car cover. I change the oil every spring.

Why exactly did he say not to use a cover?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I grew up and stored a lot of cars while I was in the Army up in the Green Bay area.
I am an A&P mechanic; most things I do are over kill.

Is it going to be CATASTROPHIC if you don't? Lol, probably not.

Gotcha.

T3RM1N8R_18

Established Member
That car covers scratch your paint. That light scratches such as swirls cannot be avoided while using a car cover. He showed me a pattern on my paint that was actually from my car cover. And I have a California Car Cover which guarantee to never scratch or mark your finish.

Last edited:

Case

Established Member
I'll agree that car covers will scratch your paint slightly, however I'd rather take small scratches vs an unwelcome guest come spring. I use a car-cover inside of a Carbag which is a giant zippered tarp. Where I store mine there is a large field outback. So mice have a greater chance of finding my car.

I also change my oil before I store it to remove any contaminants over the summer driving. Pull the battery and fill the tank up and add Stabil.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
This year I left the battery in the car on a tender.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
This will be my first year storing but honestly it rarely goes more than 3 weeks where you couldn't get the car out. I plan on just putting around for 30 min or so on nicer days. I will add stabil but that's probably it and hope for few snow days

bssmith1220

Established Member
Why pull the battery out and put on tender versus leaving it in the car on a tender?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Why pull the battery out and put on tender versus leaving it in the car on a tender?

Good question, I've always pulled because of super cold temperatures. But a battery tender should keep the charge. Generally what kills batteries is heat not the cold.

Users who are viewing this thread