StopTech ST40 Kit - Thoughts?

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Question for brake experts, despite my GREATEST attempt to spray the caliper with cleaning solution at each bleeder per bleed, and the use of a “dabber” to exhaust the micro fluid out of each bleed nipple to ensure NO fluid was left on the caliper, I am STILL left with wrinkled paint near each bleed screw. Is this apart of life or am I missing something? Any tricks to make sure this doesn’t trend to the rest of the caliper and destroy the paint? None of the bleeders are leaking and are tight.
x5do5c.jpg

94slowbra1

Established Member
My brembos had the same shit. I tried and tried to get every last bit of fluid and I guess I didn't. No leaks here either. It has not spread and they have been installed for a couple if years.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
94slobra1, thanks. Turns out it was the SH*TY bleed screws that came with the kit.

Hate to self indulge my own thread further but due to the amount of PM's I received, I have the following recommendations for those who purchased a kit:

**HIGHLY recommend you do NOT use, or at least assess the fitment of the stock bleed screws**
Despite my attempts to be thoroughly clean, all four bleed screws had eaten paint near the threads due to them seeping ever so slightly. The bleed screw once broken open wiggles ever so slightly and does NOT come with thread treatment. During bleeding the fluid will expunge out of the center AND the threads - which tells me these things do not fit correctly. A google search on this reveals mustang, honda, ferrari, etc. users experiencing this.

I used Russel Speed Bleeders this morning which stopped the issue but not after my finish was eaten a bit. I had them on hand but elected not to use them because they were shaped a bit different than the stock bleeders. Wish I had just used them from the beginning.

Left and right brake lines were mislabeled. Not a huge deal but may want to test up top at the hardline before installing at the caliper.

I required two seperate bed in sessions to get the pads right. Once done, these things rock.

Very frusterating about the bleeder screw being junk. Wish I would have caught it as being a known issue. For me, $17 fix, but now I need to touch up the finish.

Thanks for all the responses.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
They went up to $2300 when I looked. Glad you like them! I will stick with my 13” Baer set for now and wait till another screaming deal

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Talleywacker

Established Member
This is the only photo I have of mine, Just received the car yesterday. Seems like they work well but haven't put the car through the paces yet. I believe it's the same kit but for whatever reason it's the 13" model.

59973201_10216572787490306_4955887596631752704_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

Attachments

• A350EEF3-FBD8-4055-AE67-606F92796F8B.jpeg
    A350EEF3-FBD8-4055-AE67-606F92796F8B.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 205

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Looks fantastic TalleyWacker.

Love your wheel BBK combo. Def adds a more mature look over the stock looking brakes which I personally find to be not so aesthetically pleasing.

Performance wise, I have been pretty happy with mine on spirited drives where heat has been induced. Hard to tell if the SS lines are the big change I’m noticing in brake response on daily drives, but regardless I”be been happy (after the hiccups) thus far.

Great looking car.

04compocobra

Looks fantastic TalleyWacker.

Love your wheel BBK combo. Def adds a more mature look over the stock looking brakes which I personally find to be not so aesthetically pleasing.

Performance wise, I have been pretty happy with mine on spirited drives where heat has been induced. Hard to tell if the SS lines are the big change I’m noticing in brake response on daily drives, but regardless I”be been happy (after the hiccups) thus far.

Great looking car.
Can you please send me sellers info as well, I'd love to get the set. Thanks in advance!

OldYeller

Established Member
Premium Member
Shoot me the info as well if you could-any idea if you have to have 18” wheels to clear?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
13”. Would have been nice if it was the 14” BUT I do not think this vendor or StopTech carries the 14” at this time for the ST40 line.

Thanks. The bleeder issue sucks, especially on a brand new finish. I remember seeing Shelby Baer calipers with a similar issue on the forums years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread