Stopping with Strange Brakes

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
From viewing the weight savings threads, it seems like you can shed some decent weight off the front of the car with Strange brakes.

Does anyone have any experience with how the car stops with the Strange front brakes and skinny tires up front? Will the Strange brakes have any trouble stopping a car traveling 140 mph after the quarter mile without a parachute?

Thanks in advance.

davidhuff

Established Member
I have talked to a lot of NHRA racers and they say they are great.Ford Motor Company puts these brakes on new cobra jets.

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Thanks for the posts guys. The Cobra Jet and rodfarva's car are about 700 pounds lighter than mine. I am likely tipping the scales at 4,000 lbs.

Last edited:

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
You need a chute, can't blame that on brakes lol.

I tell yeah as soon as my car runs 150 it will have a chute. Its just bad ass to have a chute on a car.

Im finally rolling fast enough in the 1/4 to really need to use the brakes to slow down. The track I run on has a good bit of slow down room but these cars are heavy. Lots of pressure on the brakes to slow down a 4,000lb car from 140mph.

rodfarva

Established Member
I know that there definitely is very little extra stopping distance, especially if you don't hit the brakes right away or if you don't hit the brakes hard enough initially.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Not a great idea for street driven car as I understand it.

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
That is my understanding as well stkjock. I don't have a trailer, so I drive back and forth to the track. I really, really would like to put these brakes on my car though. I already am having a bit of trouble stopping my car with the Brembos at 139+ mph, so I wanted to check before putting these on and realizing that I can't stop my 2 ton tank before I run out of track :)

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Alex - IMO if you are making it a "track car" its one thing, if you are driving it on the street as well, I think there are safer ways to lose weight from the car.

my .02

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
You're right

Your .02 is likely right Dave - have to be able to stop the car. I appreciate the words of wisdom once again :)

Thx UnleashedBeast for verifying too!

Alex - IMO if you are making it a "track car" its one thing, if you are driving it on the street as well, I think there are safer ways to lose weight from the car.

my .02

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Switching to amsoil reduced weight, as does their magic brake fluid.

Users who are viewing this thread