Stoppable offense?

olefafl

Established Member
My wife pulled into Wendy's today & a LEO pulled her over.
He said he pulled her over for making a right on red. Only problem was she made a u-turn. He warned her (verbally) about paying attention to the no-right-on-red and let her go. When she retraced her steps to make sure she hadn't made a right turn on red (and cuz Wendy's didn't give her a straw), she went back to where he was hanging out and said she didn't make a right turn, it was a u-turn. She wanted to make sure he could see people that were making u-turns and not busting them for no-right-on-red. He then told her he "misspoke" about the right-on-red and had actually pulled her over for the u-turn. He said "making a u-turn in a high traffic area was a stoppable offense" to a judge even though it was not marked no u-turn.

Is this true? It's high-traffic, sure, but she had a green arrow and no one was turning right which would have been into her path.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
green arrow has the right of way, not traffic turning right.

maybe she is attractive and thats why he pulled her over...it happens.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
If she had a green arrow and there were no signs forbidding a U-turn... Then there must have been an another motive for the stop.

U.M.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
At a U-Turn the person performing that action must yield to traffic and if there is high traffic combined with an appropriately slow U-turn there is P.C. for a stop.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
When I worked as a city officer we had a city ordinance that prohibited a U-turn at an intersection. State law in Texas prohibits a U-turn within 500' of a curve or a crest of a hill.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
If she had a green arrow and there were no signs forbidding a U-turn... Then there must have been an another motive for the stop.
U.M.

not necessarily. in DC you cannot make a u-turn at a controlled intersection regardless of the signage (or at least that used to be the case). I have no idea if this is the case in the ops area or not however.

olefafl

Established Member
If there is some law or ordinance about not making a u-turn I can't find one.
The only things I have found are you can't do them on the freeway.
This was in Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana.
I do know of 1 place it is marked you CAN do them if you are in the inside left turn lane.
It is also listed #1 on the "10 most dangerous intersections in Indiana" (this is not where she did the u-turn)

Last edited:

delly

Established Member
man ,if a leo lets you go with a verbal, then just leave. never go back to tell him basically you think your right and he is wrong. always remember its the officers descretion to give the ticket, you dont wanna piss him off, ya know what im saying. just my opinion

Apicia

Established Member
man ,if a leo lets you go with a verbal, then just leave. never go back to tell him basically you think your right and he is wrong. always remember its the officers descretion to give the ticket, you dont wanna piss him off, ya know what im saying. just my opinion

Never said better. Don't matter who is right or wrong, they are always right!

olefafl

Established Member

I told her that was not a good idea, but he did pull her over for something she didn't do. Then made up a law (it looks like) to cover his ass.

Apicia

Established Member
I told her that was not a good idea, but he did pull her over for something she didn't do. Then made up a law (it looks like) to cover his ass.

Even with that said, she needed to let it go. He might see her a week from now and cite her for anything he wants.

Users who are viewing this thread