Stone Veneer installation questions

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
So my wife and I have slowly been starting to update our house. My current project is re-vamping the fireplace. I've built a raised hearth in front of the fireplace, which I'll be installing 20"x20"x2" hearth stones. For the wall of the fireplace I installed concrete backer board. I'm almost to the point of starting the stone install on the wall, and looking for some advice on installing it. I've laid my fair share of ceramic and porcelain tile, but never this stone veneer that we purchased from menards. I will attach some pics of what we have and what I'm working with. The stone veneer panels are pre assembled in 6"x24" pieces.

Here is the stone veneer we purchased:

FFE3BE0D-DE92-4A92-83ED-D3AB65611DE3_zpsqfqushlk.jpg

E182DA45-7165-4CE2-A842-7099D67A6626_zpsdkjegh0o.jpg

Here is the wall I'm working with:

EAA559D4-B6E7-498C-9312-BD8994844D4B_zps0wuotvgg.jpg

So my questions are,

Do I need to do a scratch coat on the concrete board first, allowing it to dry before mixing new mortar to set the stone with? Or can I just trowel on mortar like you would with setting tile, and back butter the stone before setting?

What mortar would you all use to set the stone with. I've read so many conflicting things that my head is starting to spin! The instructions for the stone on menards website say: Can be installed to concrete or concrete substrate. Well, that leaves a lot to be determined! I just done want the stuff falling off the wall! The stone is natural looking stone, varying in thickness from 3/4"-1-3/4".

Last edited:

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Just mortar your backer board and set the stone .
No need to back butter , and I usually make my own mortar , so I can't tell you what to buy
You don't have any weight to support other than the veneer .
Just like tile , your first course needs to be level and corners plumb.
I think that material includes some corner stones in the box .

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
Just mortar your backer board and set the stone .
No need to back butter , and I usually make my own mortar , so I can't tell you what to buy
You don't have any weight to support other than the veneer .
Just like tile , your first course needs to be level and corners plumb.
I think that material includes some corner stones in the box .

Ok, I was told on another site to use a modified thin set. The stuff we got didn't include corner pieces. Just the flat ones. I'm just doing the flat wall with no corners.

This is the stuff that was recommended to use:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-B...lb-Fortified-Thin-Set-Mortar-MTSG50/100162542

Last edited:

TxCobra76

Established Member
That backer board is gonna suck the water out of your thin set quick. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't drying on you to fast. Should be an easy install for you. Post a pic when you get done. Good luck bud!

Users who are viewing this thread