Stock water temp gauge

Dekorum

Established Member
What do you need to replace to change a malfunctioning water temp gauge? I only want to fix the stock one, NOT get an after market gauge even though the readings are way more accurate like most people are going to say. My gauge stays below the C mark for way too long. It just sits there like the needle is broken for like 5 minutes and it used to get to operating temp in like 3 mins. Is it some kind of water temp sending unit? If so, links to where I can get it please!

Dekorum

Established Member
Theres a C even before Normal, haha. So basically it looks like the needle is just all the way down for while.

I think I found it though
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/products/memsen9.aspx
Is that it? At first I thought it was the low coolant sensor but then I noticed that that is on the coolant overflow tank cap, so this looks like it. Does anyone have any experience changing it and know if I have to take off the thermostat housing therefore draining all the coolant? Also does it look like I should pay the extra 16 and get the Motorcraft?

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
The sensors sit pretty high on the water line. I'd drain quite a bit out of the radiator and hope it levels out below the sensor. Never hurts to put some rags all around the sensor, though. If you use a clean container, you can pour it right back in ...

Users who are viewing this thread