Stock valve springs safe?

TurboSVT96

Established Member
Hey guys, tried search bar but no luck. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my frankinsten 96,99,2003 turbo cobra. Gotta love the mod motor! Haha. Have forged crank, Manley rods, Manley flat top pistons. Looking to run around 15 psi of boost. Will the stock valve springs in my 99 heads be safe? It's going to be mostly a street beast. thanks, Jon

TurboSVT96

Established Member
The heads have 78,000 miles on them. They came off a bone stock cobra the guy bought new. He only took them off to go with CNC heads and a blower. I plan on running stock cams and doing time-serts while I have them off. Just afried of valve float. Hear the stock seat pressures arint all that strong for boost.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
When I did my build, I researched and decided to put in a new set of take-off stockers from a Mach 1. There are folks making 600+ rwhp on stockers. They can take a beating. I dont know that I have ever heard of anyone on here wrecking a set of springs without there being some sort of catastrophic failure elsewhere in the motor

TurboSVT96

Established Member
So you recommend getting new oe replacements? 78,000 isn't a lot of miles. But since I've already bought a new forged crank, new .030 over Manley flat top pistons, total seal rings, and clevite main and rod bearings, and these heads since the others lost 2 exhaust seats, kinda has me scared on stock springs now. I bought this car and motor already hurt. So not sure what lead to what. Just trying to not have it happen again.

Users who are viewing this thread