Stock Trading Advice

11sec Guy

Established Member
Well i have really wanted to start trading and learning as much as possible. I currently use the App Robinhood, i only put 200.00 bucks in to make sure the funds transfer and to start the set up. I was wondering if the SVT Gods would be able to give me some general advice since most people on this forum seem to manage their money well. Just a few basic pointers would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

cobralvr01

Established Member
There's a Stock Pick Thread that's been stickied in this section. Get a hold of a couple of the commoners there. They have a lot of good information for you to use.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Well i have really wanted to start trading and learning as much as possible. I currently use the App Robinhood, i only put 200.00 bucks in to make sure the funds transfer and to start the set up. I was wondering if the SVT Gods would be able to give me some general advice since most people on this forum seem to manage their money well. Just a few basic pointers would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Here's some advice - almost everyone that tells you they make a bunch of money actively managing funds in the stock market is full of shit. It can be a fun hobby but there are a whole bunch of people who actively manage funds for a living that routinely lose to the market averages.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/e555d83a-ed28-11e5-888e-2eadd5fbc4a4.html#axzz44Ons5L8S

e3923514-ed2f-11e5-bb79-2303682345c8.img

oldmodman

Established Member
It's so simple.

Buy low.

Sell high.

I prefer highly leveraged no load pots of stocks.

Lately I have been making decent money buying the TQQQ and the SQQQ. They are baskets of bets that the NASDAQ will either go up, or down. They move at three times the speed of the general NASDAQ.

Somewhat risky but that's what floats my boat.

oldmodman

Established Member
Wait for the market to crash first...it's due.

It sure is.

When it started to tank in late December I threw all my loose cash into the SQQQ
When I finally sold them about the end of Feb I had made a nice chink of change. Didn't buy at the top, didn't sell at the bottom. Market timing is extremely risky. Buy and sell into the trend.

nxhappy

Established Member
stick with companies that pay dividends. PS 200 bucks isn't going to get you shit. You should start with about 10 grand.

FortLewisCobra

Established Member

Steve1578

Established Member
Definitely visit it the sticky. There's too much to go over. If all you have is 200, I suggest just sticking it in savings and building up to at least 5k if possible. Are you looking to "trade" or "invest"? Two vastly different approaches. If you don't know the difference, start there.

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
The best advice for starters is 1. read 2. read some more 3. read even more

Then when you're done with those read some more. There is a lot to learn and even the basics can be a bit confusing. Also as mentioned there is a huge difference between trading and investing. With only 200 to start you'd be hard pressed to realize any actual gains with trading. Transaction costs and taxes are going to eat up most of your profits with so little capital unless you stick to highly (2 or 3x) leveraged ETFs. My best advice would be start researching and learning about the process while continuing to save.

crazyj0n

Established Member
It's so simple.

Buy low.

Sell high.

I prefer highly leveraged no load pots of stocks.

Lately I have been making decent money buying the TQQQ and the SQQQ. They are baskets of bets that the NASDAQ will either go up, or down. They move at three times the speed of the general NASDAQ.

Somewhat risky but that's what floats my boat.
I bought some Sea Drill SDRL puts margined to the max, back in mid September for Feb 10. So far they have made almost 400% since sdrl has fallen over 70%

I don't trust the Saudi's to keep pumping at these low prices so I will let the puts sell and not rebuy. Didn't have that much in them anyway. About 60k.

But some heavy trader friends have over a million in them. They really made out great.
I've never bought a word of your bullshit, and i recommend others be highly skeptical of any claims on the internet without trade ledgers being provided.

To the op:
Statistically speaking (based on history of benchmark returns), your $200 unleveraged would be lucky to buy you an icecream cone at the end of 12 months. Good luck.

11sec Guy

Established Member
stick with companies that pay dividends. PS 200 bucks isn't going to get you shit. You should start with about 10 grand.

Well that was to make sure everything worked correctly, i plan on using 3k to invest with. Just reading a learning as much as possible first. I understand 200.00 is nothing, didnt want you guys to think i was trying to only use 200 bucks

Last edited:

Never_Enough

Established Member
Don't forget to look at ETFs. I'm hoping my Tesla stock goes up nicely with the Model 3 unveil so I can sell.

MG0h3

Established Member
If you've never done it, starting with 200 is fine.

I'll admit I don't know much about stocks, I just watch. I use barchart and just watch the ticker on CNBC. I look for stocks that move up and down 5-10% every week or so. I just learn the range and clip the peaks and valleys. Sometimes I make 4%, sometimes around 12%. Most of my friends go for longer plays and have done pretty good, but I don't like to hold.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Don't forget to look at ETFs. I'm hoping my Tesla stock goes up nicely with the Model 3 unveil so I can sell.

Don't!

Tesla is bringing forth the battery pack that can store energy from solar panels. Currently solar energy has to be used and if your house dies not use that energy it's directed somewhere it can be used and your given a credit. Tesla is working on the battery packs to store then use that energy when you need it like a spare generator. This will be where the real wealth will be made for tesla.

Users who are viewing this thread