Stock TB question, coating from factory?

bmorecobra

Off stacks
Established Member
Hey fellas,

I just bought a "brand new" Mach 1 throttle body off of a reputable vendor on eBay. Everything looks great except for the back of the throttle blades. The blades have a black coating which looks to me like carbon buildup. I contacted the seller and he claims that the black stuff is actually a teflon coating that they apply at the factory.

I cannot personally say I have ever seen a stock TB off of a mach 1 so I can not really verify whether what he is saying is true; so I wanted to ask for your opinion.

Is this stuff something that is in fact applied at the factory or is this actually just a used TB.

The reason I have reason to believe him is the fact he has been selling parts since 07 with zero negative feedback, the throttle body is absolutely spotless otherwise, and there are no bolt marks on the TB showing that it was ever attached to a manifold lid.

Let me know what y'all think! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• TB pic 1.jpg
    TB pic 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
  • TB pic 2.jpg
    TB pic 2.jpg
    1,011.5 KB · Views: 96
  • TB pic 3.jpg
    TB pic 3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
  • TB pic 4.jpg
    TB pic 4.jpg
    895.4 KB · Views: 81

bmorecobra

Off stacks
Established Member
Some pictures of the rest of the throttle body, as you can see the rest of it is spotless.

Attachments

• TB pic 5.JPG
    TB pic 5.JPG
    788.8 KB · Views: 80
  • TB pic 6.JPG
    TB pic 6.JPG
    831 KB · Views: 104

starnsey

Established Member
I'm not really certain about whether there is a coating from the factory or not, but that thing is so ridiculously clean I wouldn't worry about it at all.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
It is a factory Teflon coating. Cobras and Mach`s both had the coating. In fact the only difference between a 03/04 Cobra TB and Mach is that the Cobra has an extra coil in the butterfly return spring because they have no secondary throttle return like the Mach. You can switch one for the other with no noticeable difference.

Users who are viewing this thread