Stock SVT engine + Better Supercharger

koopa

munter chumpher
Established Member
Hey, if i took the eaton off a stock terminator engine and replaced it with a KB 2.2, Whipple or Procharger will i need to make any supporting mods?

KB's site says you can just add on their 2.2 plus a pulley and boost-a-pump,
up the boost to 20psi and be running 600rwhp. This sounds a little too good to be true? Am i right in thinking this? I have come from an evo FQ300 where any time you try to extract 5hp you need to spend thousands getting it remapped and supported with air/fuel computers and cooling mods etc.

These companies are essentialy telling me i can slap the blower on and drive off with 600rwhp? :uh oh:

If you were gonna change the blower, what other mods would be ultimately needed? How much would it cost to do a supercharger swap?

thanks for the help fellas
p.s right now im thinkin either Procharger or KB 2.2 :D

Last edited:

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
Use the search tool to find out about what people thought about the Procharger's....most sold them...only a few that I have seen kept them but they loved them. There are a lot more KB 2.2's then Procharger's though. So that must mean something. You NEED to do cooling mods though to help your engine last. Some exhaust and air intake mods would really help you out if you haven't done so already..especially with the KB. But you still need to get a good tune..that could cost you anywhere from 80-500 bucks depending on who does it. But just make sure they do a safe tune. :)

Last edited:

koopa

munter chumpher
Established Member
thanks for the advice man, would a heat exchanger be enough? I would be driving the car weekdays and doing the odd street drag at weekends.

03-SilverSnake

Established Member
I'm doing a KB 2.2L on mine right now and i had a lengthy discussion beforehand with the shop doing the work not to mention all the stuff i've learned on this site... right now all i have is a MAC Catback + cold air intake... there are supporting mods you will need to run the set up properly... here is what i was advised to get with my set up (as you mentioned, the unit itself comes with the boost a pump)

- mass air meter & harness
- bigger injectors
- custom tune (extremely critical and important.. you will need a chip suited to your car.. the shop i'm going to does their own).
- upper/lower 100mm idler pulley
- AFCO heat exchanger
- FIPK2 K&N cold air intake

That is what i'm getting this trip... eventually i plan to do an input shaft + clutch, long tube headers, and maybe a little bit of suspension work... with that being said, i've spent approx $6,000 on all that which includes the installs, tuning on the dyno, and some miscellaneous stuff (fluids, etc).. of course if you are bone stock, i'd suggest doing some sort of exhaust as well ... there are many different combos... you'll just
have to find one that suites your liking... also, don't forget some sort of drag radials for the back if you want to hook up and get the power to the ground to some degree.. i'm going with NITTO 555R's.. of course there are other kick ass tires besides those.. just do some research and figure out what you want.. Hope this helps.

Good Luck !

koopa

munter chumpher
Established Member
thats the info i was looking for 03-silversnake!! Thanks buddy. So i know what to budget now :D i got bout £4k saved just now. I still havent bought the car yet!! Im waiting to find the right one to import back over here to Scotland. Ideally id like to buy a bone stock 04 cobra in black, nightfire red or comp orange and have it sent via my buddy in the US to a good tuner to have all the bits fitted and mapped for UK 95ron. That way it will be ready to run straight off the boat and i can focus on gettin some fat FR500'sand a carbon hood on it:D

GodStang

Established Member
I have an 03 cobra that had a kenne bell 2.2L until the engine melted down. I bought it this way. The car had no cooling mods and had a bad mail order tune. First off the tune in my opinion is the most important. Also you need to do the cooling mods. I chose a LFP Heat exchanger because it is a great unit and it is about $150 less than the AFCO. I do not think you will need bigger injectors yet. If you have the money it is a good addition but I do not think it is a must. You may want to also look into a radiator and the LDC Chicago cooling mod. Also my car did not need the mass air meter and harness upgraded when it was running that.

Good luck with your car and if you have anymore questions please ask.

koopa

munter chumpher
Established Member
hey godstang,

i spoke to a cobra owner with the same views as you. He said the main thing was getting the air/fuel set up right. He recommended 60lb injectors and dual focus pumps though he didnt know if these were necessary with the KB boost a pump. He said he thought the heat exchanger was a must. Bear in mind the air is very cold over here :D

Users who are viewing this thread