stock srt 4 vs my stock 99 cobra

fedge

well there is this kid at my poe that just got a srt 4 and all i have been hearing round the office this past week is how fast his car is.... so today as i am leaving one of my friends says to me, please whoop him he has been talking sheet all day.... so i go over to the kid and talk to him and he claims to be able to beat any 99-01 cobra.. so i agree to a little race after work.. first we started from a dig and i pulled on him instantly..we only raced till about 60-70mph so i didn't even shift into 3rd...but at the end he was about 2-3 cars behind,then we went from a 10mph roll and the same thing i pulled immediatly and kept on pullin... i honestly thought he was going to take me out of the hole and i would be playing a little catch up since this was the first time i have ever raced a srt4... but after that he just kept on saying how much he liked the sound on my exhaust...even though it is factory..lol..good times.. :rockon:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
3000ways said:
Good race, the guy driving the SRT-4 needs to practice a bit on his racing and it will be a much closer race.

No not really. SRT4's are very hard to launch and they trap 100-101. 99,01 Cobras trap 103-104, so it will be 3-5 cars at the end. Pretty much represenative of the two stockers.

Good kill :rockon:

3000ways

Established Member
To just look at trap speeds when it comes to the SRT-4 is a mistake, the car is very quick on the top end. I know you can tell a lot from trap speeds, but sometimes it's just not that simple. Take for instance the EVO, if you just looked at trap speed you would never know that after 100MPH, the car pretty much dies due to gearing, but an EVO with cams is a different story.

SRT-4 Turbo 7

Established Member
Good kill bro. I don't know how much faster the 99 Cobras are as compared to the 98 cobras but I raced a 98 cobra vert. It was a 5spd with a flowmaster cat back exhaust. We went from a dig and a roll. From a dig it was close, by 100mph he was at my back bumper. From a 40mph roll by 120mph he was about a car off of my bumper. Anyway someone please tell em the difference between a 98 cobra and a 99 cobra. Also tell that SRT kid to learn how to drive. I think I am an ok driver and I pull 2.1 60ft times all day long on stock BF Goodrich KDW's

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
First obvious difference is that the 98 cobra is the last of the SN95 body style. The 99 Cobra is a new edge body style. The 98 cobra is a solid axle car, thus can lauch better from the line with the right driver. The 99 Cobra has independent rear suspention, which can be prone to wheel hop, making it harder to launch.

The 98 Cobra is rated at 305 hp/300 tq. The 99 Cobras are rated at 320hp/315tq The main difference in power comes from the higher flowing heads and intake setup on the 99-01.

My 98 cobra dynoed at 264rwhp stock

Many 99-01 dyno around 275-280 (give or take a few rwhp)

98Vobra

Established Member
SRT-4 Turbo 7 said:
Good kill bro. I don't know how much faster the 99 Cobras are as compared to the 98 cobras but I raced a 98 cobra vert. It was a 5spd with a flowmaster cat back exhaust. We went from a dig and a roll. From a dig it was close, by 100mph he was at my back bumper. From a 40mph roll by 120mph he was about a car off of my bumper. Anyway someone please tell em the difference between a 98 cobra and a 99 cobra. Also tell that SRT kid to learn how to drive. I think I am an ok driver and I pull 2.1 60ft times all day long on stock BF Goodrich KDW's

Also you raced a vert, they are a little fat! A hard top would be a little closer. Might even edge you out.

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
The srt-4 kid may need to elarn how ot drive ,but im sure the cobra driver needs to as well .I have raced 3 srt's and from dig, roll, whatever it's not close.(obviously) They are quick little cars for sure, but I usually put about 5-6 cars from a stop to about 130

SRT-4 Turbo 7

Established Member
Your also modified. Either way I would like to run a stock 99 Cobra coupe just to see how I stand. Win or loose it will be fun.

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
SRT-4 Turbo 7 said:
Your also modified. Either way I would like to run a stock 99 Cobra coupe just to see how I stand. Win or loose it will be fun.
I havent had the chance to run a srt-4 with my midpipe ,and catback yet. All 3 runs I've had was only with a K&N/silencer removed.

fedge

BmoseleyINC said:
The srt-4 kid may need to elarn how ot drive ,but im sure the cobra driver needs to as well .I have raced 3 srt's and from dig, roll, whatever it's not close.(obviously) They are quick little cars for sure, but I usually put about 5-6 cars from a stop to about 130

did you read my post... i said i only went into second gear and had 2-3 cars on him.. i imagine if i went all the way to 130 it would be about 5-6 cars.. ..do you want to go to driving school toghether???? we can meet at bob bondurant at firebird here in phoenix....

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
i only traped 99 before the turbo and down pipe and i ran a 13.3 so it just depends on the bottom end for me.

LittleMT

Established Member
BmoseleyINC said:

Only 5-6 cars?

I tend to rout them alittle worse then that.... :coolman:

97cobraheaven

Established Member
i raced one from a roll on the highway at about 65mph or so, we were dead even, i pulled a little but im talkin inches. i do not know what he had done, but he was a cool kid.

slow98svt

www.snma.net
Established Member
My buddy and I test drove an SRT4 and dont get me rong they are fun little cars but not anything compaired to a Cobra IMO. My friend beat an SRT4 from 20-110 by about a car in a 04 GT 5spd with only a k&n filter and cobra silencer.

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
dehy said:
did you read my post... i said i only went into second gear and had 2-3 cars on him.. i imagine if i went all the way to 130 it would be about 5-6 cars.. ..do you want to go to driving school toghether???? we can meet at bob bondurant at firebird here in phoenix....

My fault, long day, plus being tired=post read wrong. I dont need driving school, I can drive the shit out of my cobra. If you had 3 cars on him by second gear, sounds like you can too. :beer:

littleMT: well what car do you drive? :shrug:

Last edited:

wma8706

Established Member
correct me if I'm wrong but aren't stock srt4 closer to gt mustangs than cobras? I'd imagine their performance falls between a gt mustang and 99/01 cobra.

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
wma8706 said:
correct me if I'm wrong but aren't stock srt4 closer to gt mustangs than cobras? I'd imagine their performance falls between a gt mustang and 99/01 cobra.

Srt-4's are a little under gt's most cases. I seen a couple GT-SRT races and the GT's are usually out front buy a car or so..it's actually a pretty good race.

Users who are viewing this thread