stock springs and shocks?

mrxr250rider

Established Member
how do the stock springs and shocks handle in the rear? i have an irs swapped 97 cobra has stock 01 springs and shocks havent got a chance to really drive it,its my winter project. it has coil overs in front and is lower in the front and doesnt look bad the way its setup.

besides lowering will a set of lowering springs and bilsteins help the rear handle and grip alot better or get rid of problems like wheelhop?

debating if i should leave it stock for now,or while it down over the winter do the springs/shocks?

Last edited:

trxcobra

Established Member
when i lowered my car i put in eibach sportline springs with bilstein shocks, but i also did the IRS bushings, HD crossmember brace and billetflow differential brace. It made a huge difference in wheelhop and overall handling. I would recommend doing these things while you have the IRS out of there and you wont regret it

mrxr250rider

Established Member
when i lowered my car i put in eibach sportline springs with bilstein shocks, but i also did the IRS bushings, HD crossmember brace and billetflow differential brace. It made a huge difference in wheelhop and overall handling. I would recommend doing these things while you have the IRS out of there and you wont regret it

what irs bushings are you talking about? i dont really wanna spend 500-700 on the kits ive seen. who sells hd crossmembers?

thanks for the help,im new to the irs. never even drove it with the irs yet but from what i heard i know it could use improvement and while its down for the winter i might as well do as much as i can.

its just a street car,so cheap easy improvements to reduce wheelhop are all i want i dont drive my cars that hard.

Last edited:

Bad99SVT

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
you can get the maximum motorsports bushings then...they are still a little pricey but thats anything for a irs car. MM is good stuff...i just prefer bruces kit on here since it holds up much better...that is what i will be purchasing soon hopefully.

mrxr250rider

Established Member
you can get the maximum motorsports bushings then...they are still a little pricey but thats anything for a irs car. MM is good stuff...i just prefer bruces kit on here since it holds up much better...that is what i will be purchasing soon hopefully.

maximum motorsports control arm bushing kit is 500,not looking to spend that much on bushings atleast not now.

will replacing the subframe bushings(50 on mm),adding hd crossmember and shocks/springs help wheelhop a good amount? like i said its a street car and dont drive it hard very often and should have good enough tires on it that it doesnt break loose often.

would like to improve the wheelhop issue a little bit while its down for the winter,will prob have the irs out to swap gears as well unless i find an irs with 4:10s or close

Last edited:

Bad99SVT

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
yes...subframe bushings and the cross brace will help...you could also get a steeda or billetflow diff brace to help also..do subframe bushings and diff mount bushings as well...those are a weak point on an irs especially if they are the factory diff bushings.

mrxr250rider

Established Member
yes...subframe bushings and the cross brace will help...you could also get a steeda or billetflow diff brace to help also..do subframe bushings and diff mount bushings as well...those are a weak point on an irs especially if they are the factory diff bushings.

awesome thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread