Stock s/c pulley whine??

rmgtc01

Established Member
Stock s/c pulley whine?? Help please!!

Anyone have the stock s/c pulley make a whining noise, kinda like how the transmission in 1st gear sounds or so. Maybe sounds like a centrifugal supercharger idle or something.
Has anyones supercharger pulley gone bad??
It hasn't made a sound like this before and now is very noticeable.
I haven't taken off the cover to see, but I heard it tonight and lifted the hood while the engine was running. I revved the engine at the t/b and it is definitely something with the pulley or in that exact area.
Everything runs great, just want to fix anything before it gets worse.

Sooo, any ideas or similar problems help would be great.

thanks,

Rob

Last edited:

rmgtc01

Established Member
ooh, and its not boost, I hear it at low revs and it stays with the the engine speed.

Emil

Established Member
If the boost bypass valve (or whatever it's called) is staying closed you will be getting boost all the time which does make a whine at low rpms. Did the hoses get messed up around the valve and not get put back on correctly?

rmgtc01

Established Member
okay, i checked the boost bypass valve and it is connected properly. I didn't do the mod to it, so unless it went bad.
So at low rpms is whines noticeably, but no boost on the guage. then in WOT everything is normal. I am not sure if it the colder weather but I am hitting 10-11 psi on the stock boost guage now when I floor in 3rd at 80mph. It is a very noticeable power difference too.
So everything seems to be running normally, and even better at WOT...it is just that whine while cruising or 1-3k rpm. You can't hear it once you are really going or getting on it, everything is good.
I just want to be sure I am not hurting anything. Usually noises that pop out of the blue that weren't there before are not good.

Please help!!

mg11068

Established Member
Mine started doing it the other day when I swapped over to a Goodyear Gatorback belt. Makes a turbo-like whistling sound. Had a buddy who's a mechanic at a local Ford dealership look at it and he said it was coming from the belt. And I thought the Gatorback was supposed to be a super quiet belt.

Last edited:

ghostrydyr

Established Member
I'm sure it is the belt

If you have the Gatorback belt. I just put on billetflows non slip pulley and gatorback and I now get the centrifugal sound. I love it!

Users who are viewing this thread