Stock Rods????

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
definitely not forged. Motor is good for around 480whp for any period of time but it is still a ticking time bomb at that point.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Honestly it depends how good your tune is. You can blow a rod through the block with just 400rwhp if your tune is bad. If the tune is good and you have a bit of luck you might be fine with 450-500rwhp on the stock block.

Tazman1

fast is not fast enough!!
Established Member
I'm pushing my RODS. 437rwhp on a Mustang Dyno. Thats on motor alone. With Nitrous, Its more like 512 rwhp with a 75 shot.
Still going strong.

canugo12s

Banned
Honestly it depends how good your tune is. You can blow a rod through the block with just 400rwhp if your tune is bad. If the tune is good and you have a bit of luck you might be fine with 450-500rwhp on the stock block.

i agree with this guy since i just did it lol

i had a good tune just the time for the bomb to blow though!!!!

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
definitely not forged. Motor is good for around 480whp for any period of time but it is still a ticking time bomb at that point.

Actually, they are forged, but like the '01+ PSD's, they are PMR rods.

The forging process starts with powdered metal, which I guess should still render the same strength as a forging from metal that isn't powdered, but real-life situations have shown that not to be true.

At least that's how I understand it.

Stewart

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
Actually, they are forged, but like the '01+ PSD's, they are PMR rods.

The forging process starts with powdered metal, which I guess should still render the same strength as a forging from metal that isn't powdered, but real-life situations have shown that not to be true.

At least that's how I understand it.

Stewart

You've got it somewhat correct.

A true forging process takes a hot piece of metal and then mashes it into the final shape. This keeps the grain flowing in a certian direction which is where the strength comes from.

The powdered metal process is not forging in the same sense. Unfortunately some marketting weenie somewhere used this term to describe the mfg process for our rods. This is HIGHLY misleading and the cause for some many people thinking they are "forged". Marketting weenies and sales weenies are a different breed of people. I'll stop there..

The powdered metal process is one where you take little metal bits (powder) and then using a ram and die you squeeze the powder together very tightly. Much like partical board you'd use in a home or in cheap furnature.
It then goes through a heat treating process to taylor the properties.

PM rods are stronger, lighter, and cheaper than the (old school) sand cast iron versions. But you simply cannot get the same properties in that process that you can with real "forging".

Rich

Last edited:

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Here endeth the lesson!

Thanks, Rich.
thumbs-up.gif

Stewart

PS - Your "weenie" statement up there is sig worthy! LOL

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread