Stock rod limit?

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
The norm for stock rods are around 450rwhp. Some will crap out at 420rwhp, some last a few years at 500rwhp. Some let go during WOT and some forget to turn OD off, let it kick down and things go pop.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
The norm for stock rods are around 450rwhp. Some will crap out at 420rwhp, some last a few years at 500rwhp. Some let go during WOT and some forget to turn OD off, let it kick down and things go pop.

good advice here. ABSOLUTELY UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES GO WOT IN OD.

Brad003

Established Member
So 450rwhp is the safe limit? And if I want to go WOT, take it out of overdrive before I hit it?

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Yes to both. Both have the crappy stock rods. Stock, I've gone WOT and let it kick down plenty of times, no issues. Once you start modding and adding that increase pressure on the WOT kick down, it can be too much for the rods. So if you are cruising and want to go WOT, I would def take OD off first.

Also if you do a few mods,have stock MAF and it gets cold where you live in the winter, becareful cause due to the cold weather, denser air=maybe 1 more lb of boost=more power....can easily peg your MAF and pop goes the engine. Some go ahead and get a SCT maf or MAFia with a few mods (most need it with a 6lb lower or that and mods anyways) to have that room from pegging in cold weather. Will need a tune with the new maf though.

Last edited:

Brad003

Established Member
I have a 02 HD with the following mods:
8lb lower
Sbtb
Cai
Lightning upper pulley(looking for one right now, in need of one.)
2 100mm ideler pulleys
Full exhaust.

I should be pushing 425rwhp and 525-550rwtq.

In real need of a lightning pulley though.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
If you slowly lay into it in OD and it doesn't kick down...you are fine going WOT. Just don't do 70mph, floor it, kicks down and hope nothing goes south.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I have a 02 HD with the following mods:
8lb lower
Sbtb
Cai
Lightning upper pulley(looking for one right now, in need of one.)
2 100mm ideler pulleys
Full exhaust.

I should be pushing 425rwhp and 525-550rwtq.

In real need of a lightning pulley though.

If you go with a L upper pulley, I hope your SC is ported and you have some good cooling mods for the SC. If not, it's definitely going to be a Heaton.

With your stock HD upper, 8 lower and those mods, I don't really see 425rwhp. With that upper and 8 would be like a L with a 6lb lower. Most L's with 6lb lower, exhaust and SBTB make around 410-415 (if you mean full exhaust with longtube headers) And torque will probably be closer to 500-510 due to the longtubes. But you never know.

Last edited:

Brad003

Established Member
So u think I should stay with the setup I have? Cause I want over 400rwhp. But want it reliable.

Brad003

Established Member
Whitricobra, delete some of your saved pm's so I can pm you. I can't pm you til you do so. Lol.

svtl399

Established Member
With my ported eaton, SCT bigair MAF and stock manifolds im making 17psi and made 422rwhp 498rwtq on the dyno

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
With a what pulley combo? I had a 8lb lower with my set up to make 17psi. But your sig says 18?
I see safe tune, but they def tuned super safe and low timing. they might have went that route due to pushing 17 or 18psi. That's def cool though. I know with my set up and 17 I made 451rwhp. AF ratio was low 11's and tuner didn't tell me what timing though.

With my first SC port, 6lb lower, CAI, mid pipe and no touch to the tune made 413rwhp, high 11 AF ratio.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread