Stock radiator fan on/off temps?

bcwang

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I'm trying to figure out what are the stock temps the low and high speed fan turn on and off. I feel my car is running hotter (monitoring ECT through scanguage) than it used to, and is slowly losing coolant. I have to add a bit of water to the overflow every few months to keep it above the min line. First I want to make sure it's not extra heat due to the fans not quite working.

What I notice is no fan turns on until about 212F which it will easily reach sitting idle even in 70 degree weather. I don't remember it getting this high sitting idle before. It still keeps about 184F cruising on the fwy. But I've never differentiated a low or high speed mode of the fan, I can only tell one mode which is when it hits 212F or if I turn on the AC.

For a completely stock 03-04 Cobra when measured by ECT from OBDII:

1. What temp does the low speed fan turn on?
2. What temp does the low speed fan turn back off?
3. What temp does the high speed fan turn on?
4. What temp does the high speed fan revert to the low speed fan?
5. Is there a way to force the high or low speed fan to make sure they work?
6. What speed fan is used when the AC is on if the engine temps aren't high?
7. Is there an obvious speed difference between the high and low speed fan?
8. Does anyone know the max safe water temps to keep under such as while road racing?

Thanks for any help that can be offered! This will help in my troubleshooting to see if anything is wrong with my fan as I try to figure out where the water is going.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
my understanding is the AC should always force the highspeed fan setting, when the fan kicks on at 212 have someone turn the ac on and see if it kicks up a notch.

even running warm doesnt explain missing coolant (if it was overheating it could blow it out of the reservoir cap)...if the coolant level is dropping its leaving the system somewhere.

you've got a leak somewhere in the cooling system (including at the oil cooler assembly or a possible head gasket issue)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread