Stock mufflers with aftermarket catted X-pipe

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Seems a lot of people are less than thrilled with some of the catbacks they've tried on their cars. Correspondingly, there appear to be many who like the stock mufflers (myself included), apart from the fact they're too quiet.

I've seen that several people are running their stock mufflers with an offroad x-pipe, like the one from Lethal. I'd like to keep the cats, and so far have spoken with one member who has '10 mufflers on his 05-09 car, with a catted x-pipe.

Anyone else running a catted x-pipe on their '10-'12 GT500 with the stock mufflers? If so, I'd like to gather as much feedback about the idle/accelerating/WOT volume (approx % increase vs. bone stock), changes (if any) to tone/depth, and drone while crusing (if any).

As an example, I saw this pipe available locally, and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it:
Magnaflow 2011-2012 Shelby GT500 Tru-X Pipe (With Metallic Cats) [16459] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

With metallic cats, though, this pipe is essentially illegal/off-road use only, if I'm reading correctly? I suppose I could swap it back when emissions testing time came, down the road. Also, it's listed as a 3" midpipe, but it's described as "direct replacement" on many sites I've seen. I see that Bassani also makes a similar pipe, but it looks as though it's also a 3" pipe. They make it clear it will only work if you have their (or maybe another) 3" catback. Any other options I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Oh, and here are a couple pics of the car - just got it Monday and am loving it so far!

PicturesAug2320112096.jpg

PicturesAug2320112097.jpg

PicturesAug2320112098.jpg

Last edited:

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Alot of people, including myself run the stock mufflers with an o/r x simply because we found the o/r x to be too stinking loud with the prior setup, ha.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Would a catted-x add a decent amount of volume, though, without being too raspy or adding drone?

That said, I don't want the car to be very loud - maybe 25ish% louder than stock....or a tad louder than that. My previous car (04 cobra) had a magnaflow catted xpipe and borla stinger catback. Sounded awesome, but don't want to go quite so loud this time around, cause I'll have a 3 year old in the back at times :-D

I'm going back and forth between the idea of the catted x with stock mufflers, or stock midpipe with something like Borla stinger axleback. On that note, anyone running that axleback on an otherwise stock exhaust 2010?

I just see a lot of guys regretting the catback/axleback choices they made, and obviously would like to hopefully get this right the first time. Oh, and thanks for the compliment, Tom - yeah, I love the look of the car!

Cheers.

MIKE PHILLIPS

I have a '10 with stock mufflers and the Lethal Hi-Flo cats and absolutely love the sound. Idle is just a tad louder. WOT is loud. Cruising is very nice. No drone. It has a real nice rasp to it. Here is a link to the You Tube video clip.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwMWs1P_7Ns"]GT500 Exhaust Clips - YouTube[/nomedia]

T.O.Snake

Established Member
I have a '10 with stock mufflers and the Lethal Hi-Flo cats and absolutely love the sound. Idle is just a tad louder. WOT is loud. Cruising is very nice. No drone. It has a real nice rasp to it. Here is a link to the You Tube video clip.

GT500 Exhaust Clips - YouTube

Thanks for the clip! Sounds good from what I can hear - definite volume boost at start up and rev. I don't suppose I could convince you to make another quick vid with some higher revs, and maybe a cruising driveby with a WOT burst in there as well? That would help me BIG time, I think :beer:

And it's added no drone from stock? Little to no added crusing drone would be a huge plus in my books.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Click over to T.S. and check out Alex McKenzie's MMS Axlebacks, and Headers....Deep Muscle Car sound, very little drone....

69Mach1351w

Established Member

GT500 Exhaust Clips - YouTube

Sounds Great. Do you know the partb# or link to the exact part on lethals page?

I have an 11' so they didnt list it in that section. Then again 2011+ has a 2 3/4 or 2 7/8 pipe v the 2 1/2 on the 10's, so maybe they don't have one yet?

Thanks in advance

69Mach1351w

Established Member
Sounds Great. Do you know the partb# or link to the exact part on lethals page?

I have an 11' so they didnt list it in that section. Then again 2011+ has a 2 3/4 or 2 7/8 pipe v the 2 1/2 on the 10's, so maybe they don't have one yet?

Thanks in advance

Anyone know if there are hi-flow for 2011? I'm sure that there are, but the good people on this forum know of the better of the options I'm sure. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread