Stock longblock hp range ???

streetcoupee

Established Member
I'm sure this has been asked before, but what is a safe hp level for a stock cobra longblock on pump gas? All supporting mods would be done, not a daily driver. I don't want to buy a blower and later realize that it wasn't big enough for future plans. Looking at the Whipple 3.4l. what is a safe boost level for the stock longblock?

03COBRA-88

Established Member
I am pretty sure there was a member running 27psi for a while and went 9.60s at the track. Turbos would put less strain on the motor and crankshaft. Here is some proof of what these motors can handle.

Compound Boost 2003 Mustang Cobra Twin-Turbo - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

"We watched this setup throw out a certifiably insane 1,188 rwhp and an even more impressive 1,015 rwtq-through a stock engine including the factory cast-iron exhaust manifolds"

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Most people just throw enough fuel at it to keep it rich and not worry about it. They are tough motors.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I know they can support crazy amounts of power..

Just curious..what kind of RPMs are they capable of holding up to?

Nadra

Bisquits and mustard
Established Member
I know they can support crazy amounts of power..

Just curious..what kind of RPMs are they capable of holding up to?

If your motor builds max power at say 6200 rpm, why does it matter how tight it will spin? Why buzz it 7500 just b/c it will? That's a LOT of totally unnecessary valve train abuse. 4V motors don't typically need to be wind milled in order to create power, especially blown 4V's. That is one of the things that makes the blown 4V an engineering masterpiece imo.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
If your motor builds max power at say 6200 rpm, why does it matter how tight it will spin? Why buzz it 7500 just b/c it will? That's a LOT of totally unnecessary valve train abuse. 4V motors don't typically need to be wind milled in order to create power, especially blown 4V's. That is one of the things that makes the blown 4V an engineering masterpiece imo.

I'm not going to get into a side tracked arguement.

But a NA monster is a lot more impressive than a blown application [for the most part] IMO. Anyone can go fast with a blower..

Not that I would ever purchase a 03/04 short/longblock [cast iron block and 8.5:1 compression?? no thanks] I was just curious where they could spin at. Especially since my carb'd setup would make peak power slightly pass 7500

I'll still be turning 8k+ rpms with my blower.

Just my .02 anyways.

Last edited:

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
But a NA monster is a lot more impressive than a blown application [for the most part] IMO. Anyone can go fast with a blower..

Exactly. Your opinion.

Anyone can buy parts to make an NA monster, just the same as they can buy parts to have a blown, or sprayed monster.

Who cares. Everyone has there own cup of tea.

cobracide

Established Member
I find almost all the people that have to differentiate horsepower between NA/Supercharged/whatever are usually seriously lacking in that department.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I'm not going to get into a side tracked arguement.

Not that I would ever purchase a 03/04 short/longblock [cast iron block and 8.5:1 compression?? no thanks] I was just curious where they could spin at. Especially since my carb'd setup would make peak power slightly pass 7500

I'll still be turning 8k+ rpms with my blower.

Just my .02 anyways.

I'm a bit confused with this one. You mean to tell us your running an FI 4.6 NA block to 8K with a carburetor yet your more impressed sans the blower?

:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread