Stock L 5.4 w/forged Rods and ARP 2000 fasteners?

ModdedLightning

Established Member
Hi guys,
I know a stock Lightning 5.4 can handle up to about 450 rwhp:lol: (give or take depending on mods and tune) before it's at risk of blowing a rod.:shrug: I would like to hear your thoughts on how much power a stock Lightning 5.4 engine can handle with only forged Rods and ARP 2000 fasteners installed? Thank you.

joeason1010

Banned
Heads are good stock trust me I am on stock heads with a ported blower and a 10 lb under drive pulley on SCT Dyno Tune makin 490HP 560lbs I need to build my trans or I will be at zero HP and Zero Torque

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
Stock L motors only have one weak link, the rods. Put in a forged set and you can turn it up. The next most important upgrade is to put in a set of head studs to reduce the chance of a blown head gasket. Those two internal upgrades will let you make big HP safely, although I don't know how much more you can go, I'd bet 6-700RWHP would be safe.

MJG

Established Member
I know there have been a few guys who literally just pulled the motor out and replaced the rods with the proper hardware.
I think Harley 356 did this and beat on it IIRC and was fine with some big #s.

I was thinking of doing the same as you but if you have it apart already, why not throw in a few more good parts and make it that much stronger?

robbyb

Established Member
so if its just a matter of changing out the rods, why do people go "built". seems like it would cost a lot less money to just change the rods.

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
Some of us went built after joining the VBC (vented block club). Since I needed a new block, crank, pistons, rings, etc. I though might as well put in all the best parts I can and go for maximum durability. I'm sure a set of H beams would have beed adequate rods, but Crower billet I beams are better, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread