Stock Idler Replacement

WireMesh

Established Member

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I have the 3-90mm and 1-100mm. I was told by Rick at Metco that the 100mm is just to get more surface on the blower pulley, as explained a few post above.

I've replaced 2 of the 90mm idlers that started chirping with the double bearing style, I was wondering if any of you guys running dbl. bearing idlers have an issue with them being a bit offset towards the radiator?
Causing the belt to ride on the very edge of the backside of the idlers instead of the center?

I called Metco and they said that the dbl. bearing style are designed for the 10 rib belt but work with the 8 rib? Other than that no real issue.

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
I think the OP is asking why the other pulleys, NOT the supercharger idler pulley are larger than stock.

They are just there to guide the belt on it's journey to and from the alternator, crank, and S/C. So why increase the size to 100mm.

You are increasing surface area thus more drag ....BUT.... you are decreasing the speed of the pulleys which of course means less friction on the bearings and less energy used to turn the pulley. I would assume that slowing the pulley down and taking a tiny hit in belt drag is worth either power, or they do it for bearing life. Probably a question billetflow or metco will be able to answer

Last edited:

WireMesh

Established Member
I think the OP is asking why the other pulleys, NOT the supercharger idler pulley are larger than stock.

They are just there to guide the belt on it's journey to and from the alternator, crank, and S/C. So why increase the size to 100mm.

You are increasing surface area thus more drag ....BUT.... you are decreasing the speed of the pulleys which of course means less friction on the bearings and less energy used to turn the pulley. I would assume that slowing the pulley down and taking a tiny hit in belt drag is worth either power, or they do it for bearing life. Probably a question billetflow or metco will be able to answer

Yep. That was my only reasonable explanation for it.

Users who are viewing this thread