Stock GT500 Heat Soak

mustangtw

Established Member
Hey all, I just recently purchased a stock 2008 gt500 and last weekend a buddy of mine and I went to the local 8th mile track to get in some runs. Now he has a pullied and ported 03 cobra and my car is bone stock and after a 1 hr cool down from driving to the track my car was still showing intercooler fluid temperatures of 115-120 deg. I had the pump jumpered and hood open the entire time. Granted I did not have a fan in front of the heat exchanger, which may have slowed down the cooling process some, but still outside temperature was around 60 deg and I would of think it should of cooled down faster. I measured the temp at the blower front drive/snout and it was still at 150 deg after an hour sitting with the hood open. Buddies 03 cobra seemed to cool down a lot faster and run a lot cooler. Are these normal temps for a stock gt500? I figure at this rate I will have to let it cool down 2 hrs to get a decent run in. I know adding an ice tank will help it cool down quicker, I just thought it would run a bit cooler being completely stock and not take over 2 hrs to bring temps down to a good range for drag racing. Oh btw I did get a good baseline pass in with a 1.9 60ft the car ran 8.0 at 88mph. Is that good for a bone stock shelby? Only mod was 16inch v6 wheels with m/t drag radials out back.

GTOGreg

Crazy Sum-B
Established Member
I'm running a 2.4 pulley (-.6) on a milled snout (M122) and I registered 150* at the snout/front of blower area immediately after a long drive and taking the temperature with an IR handheld. I'm running the C&R (revan) H/E. This was on a 104* day too, btw.

I didn't take the temp again thereafter, but I know it would have been far, far cooler at that same location after an hour... . Yours sounds a good bit hot to be stock? A H/E would be a great investment in any event, if you run the car hard.

Imatk

Established Member
I had no problems with the stock heat exchanger on my 03 cobra. Are the stock units really that bad on the shelby?

I know you can buy the 2011 stock heat exchanger and it's quite a bit bigger than the one on your '08.

That's what I did for my '07 and it runs great.

I don't really track the car though so maybe you would need something more that can be found in the C&R?

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
I had no problems with the stock heat exchanger on my 03 cobra. Are the stock units really that bad on the shelby?

For the amount of heat that is generated the 07-10's h/e's aren't quite up to snuff in terms of capacity.

Van@RevanRacing

It's not that the GT500 heat exchangers are bad. The intercooler/heat exchanger system is actually very good but it gets quick and easy.

I've used this example in the past so I'll share it with you.

I had a customer run NMRA True Street with OUT my heat exchanger. His 1/4 mile times got slower with each pass due to heat soak and timing being pulled due to the increased IAT2 air charge.

After the heat exchanger install he went back to NMRA for another True Street Event.

His ET got better with each pass. That was the only change, the heat exchanger and you cannot open the hood or anything in true street.

Van

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Nothing wrong with a stock h/e for drag racing. Mustangtw you still gotta cool that car down just like your 03.

Didn't you really nail down how to cool your 03 back a couple of years ago? This is the same exact thing.

You need more fluid in the system because with to little of fluid it cycles to many times which causes it to heat up faster. Put more fluid in the system and it'll work better.

mustangtw

Established Member
Nothing wrong with a stock h/e for drag racing. Mustangtw you still gotta cool that car down just like your 03.

Didn't you really nail down how to cool your 03 back a couple of years ago? This is the same exact thing.

You need more fluid in the system because with to little of fluid it cycles to many times which causes it to heat up faster. Put more fluid in the system and it'll work better.

Yes brian, first thing im going to invest in is a ice box and tune. After an hour and a half cool down on the stock system with the intercooler pump jumpered, fluid temps were still 120 deg. It was mid 80s ambient. I datalogged the stock setup and it was running 136 deg iat2 through the 1/4 at only 14 deg timing advance. This is bone stock on the factory tune. My pass was a 12.5 at 109. I know with ice and more timi ng she should pick up quite a bit.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Treat it just like your 03 and you'll know exactly what to do. You'll be going as fast before long too!

To me if you have to rely on any h/e to keep you cool at the drag strip there's a lot more et and mph improvements to be made.

Look into some small 18V style fans to cool the engine too. That's what I'll be doing soon to maybe get away from my inverter setup that I've been using for a few years now. I'm going to look into the 18V fans and a marine cycle battery to run them. That way I can drive this thing to the track and run it more and still have it properly cooled down.

Users who are viewing this thread