Stock F1 rubber at the track?

SVT543of2003

Established Member
Going to the track in my termie for the first time Sat.

How bad are the OEM Goodyear Eagle F1's gonna be for traction and wheel hop?

it's gonna be a cool day, like 60's and I do have brand new Nittos on my 94 I could swap, but it's a real pain in the butt to do it and put them back on by the next day for a show n' shine.

Anyone track with stock wheels/tires, how much time difference will it make?

Common

Established Member
They suck, especially if the track prep is not top notch, you will hop like a bunny. Put nittos on, if you dont launch your car good and hop alot, you will possibly damage your IRS badly.

cobradrivr

Heaton Slowbra *****
Established Member
I have never been on the track with street tires just DR's, but i can guarantee that they wont be as good as a good set of DR's. My .02

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
It doesn't get much worse than F1's and the torque of a roots blower
at the track.

Iron Fist

Established Member
If you are going to Toronto Motorsprorts Park (Cayuga) put the DR's on, the best 60ft I could get was a 2.10sec on the F1's.

Drive around the water box and give the tires a quick spin.
Bring a helmet

wheelhopper

Established Member
I looked through some old time slips. I managed some 1.9's. Usually they were around 2.0-2.1.

I would air them down to around 22 psi, steer around the water box, and slip the clutch when you launch. Good luck.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
switch to the Nittos. the best 60' I could muster on stock F1's was 1.98. like Unit said too....a lot of torque, too little tire.

Last edited:

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
Iron Fist said:
If you are going to Toronto Motorsprorts Park (Cayuga) put the DR's on, the best 60ft I could get was a 2.10sec on the F1's.

Drive around the water box and give the tires a quick spin.
Bring a helmet

LOL.. My best was 2.27

not F1's but just as bad... Actually worse if you ask me

SVT543of2003

Established Member
I was afraid I was gonna hear that. Nittos it is then. Just a pain that's all. What rpm should I launch at?

Also, is it the hop itself that will cook my half shafts or when I hook on a sticky tire?

RedfireVNM

Ahnald, GET TO THE CHOPPA
Established Member
I would take the chance of running stock tires and hurting my IRS...Stock tires FTL

Iron Fist

Established Member
SVT543of2003 said:
What rpm should I launch at?

For your first run don't be too aggressive, leave the car at idle and when you see the 3rd yellow light turn on "go" press the gas and feather the clutch. You mainly just want to learn the track and learn how to stage for your first run, also let one of the tech's know its your first time at the track and they can help you stage. Don't be too concerned with your reaction times either your first time out, they don't affect your ET.

On your second run bring the rpm's up to 2k then depress gas and feather clutch, next run try 4000rpm and so on till you break loose then you can start backing off. For tire pressure drop them to 20psi.

SVT543of2003

Established Member
Iron Fist said:
For your first run don't be too aggressive, leave the car at idle and when you see the 3rd yellow light turn on "go" press the gas and feather the clutch. You mainly just want to learn the track and learn how to stage for your first run, also let one of the tech's know its your first time at the track and they can help you stage. Don't be too concerned with your reaction times either your first time out, they don't affect your ET.

On your second run bring the rpm's up to 2k then depress gas and feather clutch, next run try 4000rpm and so on till you break loose then you can start backing off. For tire pressure drop them to 20psi.

Good advice. I've dragged my 5.0 before, so I'm not a total newbie to the track, just a newb with a termie. Just don't want to hop my entire 60'.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
SVT543of2003 said:
Good advice. I've dragged my 5.0 before, so I'm not a total newbie to the track, just a newb with a termie. Just don't want to hop my entire 60'.

U will need a new half shaft if you hop the whole 60'

SVT543of2003

Established Member
Check this out!

I'm sad to report that circumstances wound up that I had to leave for the track with the bone stock OEM All-Season Eagle F1 rubber today. (Don't ask)

I'm happy to report that I still posted up a 12.7 @114 with a 1.9 60ft and it was (by fluke) good enough for the fastest 03/04 Cobra in the event. 13.2/13.0/12.7 avg. best two 12.85. LAMO.

With a good tire, this thing is a MONSTER.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Nice job on stock tires!

It's sooo much more fun to actually race these cars with decent tires, though- a real rush rather than having to use only a small portion of your engine's torque getting out of the hole.

dohc32v

Established Member
SVT543of2003 said:
I'm sad to report that circumstances wound up that I had to leave for the track with the bone stock OEM All-Season Eagle F1 rubber today. (Don't ask)

I'm happy to report that I still posted up a 12.7 @114 with a 1.9 60ft and it was (by fluke) good enough for the fastest 03/04 Cobra in the event. 13.2/13.0/12.7 avg. best two 12.85. LAMO.

With a good tire, this thing is a MONSTER.

nice times congrats.what mods have you done ?:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread