Stock Explorer SPORT vs. GODZILLA

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
152:eek:

Is this the EcoBoost Explorer? Is that about the average time for them?

vinny89gt

On The Reg
Established Member
What kind of MPG do you knock down in that thing?

I've been looking at getting into an Explorer just don't know if it's worth the extra cash for the Sport.

NitrousExpress

Established Member
So your 4 door 3.5L family car got wooped by a 9 second AWD monster? Big deal!! That's not a bad time either! I am taking a liking to Ecoboost. It has continued to impress me! Looks like you had a good time at least. :)

-Garrett

xenodragon

Established Member
What kind of MPG do you knock down in that thing?

I've been looking at getting into an Explorer just don't know if it's worth the extra cash for the Sport.

The MPG isnt great...we get 18-19 mix of city and highway...my wife primarily drives and I dont think she has ever had the pedal down more than 1/2 way.

HooperWest

DECIDER
Established Member
What was your time 14.?

I ran it 7 times, all 14s, low was a 14.72 @ 94.00 MPH

and my fasted MPH on all the runs was 95.04 MPH

I've got three sons, couldn't ask for a better Family Hauler for kids and gear. The Explorer is great with the 3.5 Ecoboost.

2KBlackGT

Established Member
Yes, the 3.5 TT

Nothing against your SUV OP, it's sweet! I was asking because in another thread some were telling another member to opt for one of these over the SRT Jeep. I thought they were faster since some were comparing them.

xenodragon

Established Member
Nothing against your SUV OP, it's sweet! I was asking because in another thread some were telling another member to opt for one of these over the SRT Jeep. I thought they were faster since some were comparing them.

I would take the Sport over the SRT8 jeep as the jeep is $20k more new. If I could find a low mileage last gen SRT8 for under $35k I would buy that over the Sport.

I like the Sport alot, definetly wasted on the wife, should have gotten her a $20,000 minivan like she wanted :-(

Last edited:

HooperWest

DECIDER
Established Member

No it is not faster than a Jeep SRT 8, the Sport is probably several 10ths slower stock, than the SRT 8, but there is a lot in this engine, so time will tell.

Further, the JEEP SRT8 is really not an accurate comparison for someone with a big family, the SPORT has three rows of seating, whereas the Jeep has only two. One is a true 7 seater, the other a 5 seater.

Also, if you buy an Explorer Sport you are buying American, not Italian and the SPORT's cheaper to buy it is also cheaper to run than the SRT8.

Last edited:

2KBlackGT

Established Member
No it is not faster than a Jeep SRT 8, the Sport is probably a several 10ths slower stock, than the SRT 8, but there is a lot in this engine, so time will tell.

Further, the JEEP SRT8 is really not an accurate comparison for someone with a big family, the SPORT has three rows of seating, whereas the Jeep has only two. One is a true 7 seater, the other a 5 seater.

Also, if you buy an Explorer Sport you are buying American, not Italian and the SPORT's cheaper to buy it is also cheaper to run than the SRT8.

Valid points that I'm not arguing, I was under the impression that they were faster stock thats all. In the other thread that was the arguement, performance. Some were saying with a tune only it would be close to on par with the SRT. Will the ~40hp/~60tq gain from a tune put it there? Honest question BTW.

MT0911

Established Member
Your Explorer actually didn't do that bad. I'm liking those ecoboost engines. :beer:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
2KBlackGT;13520323 Will the ~40hp/~60tq gain from a tune put it there? Honest question BTW.[/QUOTE said:
Likely not. They are probably close to 2 seconds apart stock for stock in the 1/4. They are really built for two different purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread