stock exhaust....2 cats? huh?

redsvt99

Established Member
okay....a month ago i had to smog my cobra and it didn't pass the nox at 15mph and the mil check but everything else passed. This whole time i had a check engine light throwing a p0420 code and i started researching the hell out of this code to find possible ways to fix it without spend money on new cats. after doing all the possible fixes besides changing the cats, i went for a free resmog and....FAIL again!!! this time i passed the mil check and improved my nox at 15, but not enough to pass smog. i was within (50ppm). now i had no other choice but to spend money on cats. I took my car to a certified smog repair to get my bad cat replaced and found out my car only has 2 cats. Should cobras have 4 cats on stock exhaust or is that just the gt mustangs??? well im confused about this part. Anyways, i ended up buying only one cat for the passenger side exhaust and it passed smog!! :nonono: this is all the trouble i had to go through to smog my cobra....i should kept my '66 stang.

POISND U

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Established Member
You must have an aftermarket midpipe. People sell stock ones for $100 all day long on Craigslist.

2001asp

Established Member
It makes perfect sense to me. Ok...We all know the stocker H-pipe has 4 cats. You mid pipe had 2 cats....It is aftermarket. It had one bad cat therefore you were failing smog because of the one bad cat. Now bother fixed and your good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread