Stock + Dual Pass H/E

Sinderblock

Established Member
I asked this over on the other sight, but I wanted to post it up for an answer here too.

I'm not around my L right now to see, but I'm curious if this would work and/or make a difference.

Has anyone tried or heard of using a dual pass exchanger AS WELL as using a factor cooler? I'm wondering if you could mount the factory exchanger before (or in this case, above) a dual pass? I've seen people use two factory exchangers (see Tim Skelton's right up), but those were back to back. I think that would cause the one in the rear to barely make any difference.

Again, this could be a crazy idea, because I've researched this and I haven't seen anyone say anything about this. If it's crazy don't bash me too much. Just trying to think outside the box.

:beer:

oilwell1415

Established Member
Putting two exchangers in series (or back to back as you say) can work very well and is commonplace in industry. Success is all in how you plumb it. You would have to make sure the hot water entered the rear hx first and went from there to the front one. That way the air flowing over the hx is always cooler than the liquid inside it.

DolSVT00

Established Member
As long as you can keep the flow the same it should work great, and would be a better alternative than those stupid huge intercooler resivoirs that some people use, I mean common sense should tell you that adding more capacity to the same system without adding more cooling effeciency will eventually end up as instead of a little bit of hot water, now you have a boatload of hot water thats takes forever to cool.

As for a Killer Chiller, If you drag race don't even go there. Running the motor with the AC on might cool your intercooler fluid but at the same time its building condensation that will get you throwed off the track, and its heat soaking the rest of them motor because its running. Hot air rises, your intake is on top of the motor, do the math........

Sinderblock

Established Member
Putting two exchangers in series (or back to back as you say) can work very well and is commonplace in industry. Success is all in how you plumb it. You would have to make sure the hot water entered the rear hx first and went from there to the front one. That way the air flowing over the hx is always cooler than the liquid inside it.

What I'm saying is NOT doing them back to back (which is, as you say, commonplace). What I'm saying is put one over the other. As in I would put the factory exchanger up top (or in this case, the upper grill) and have a dual pass in the lower grill. I would have the coolant run through the factory HE first and then through the more efficient dual pass.

I understand that a killer chiller would be better, but. I don't want that. I don't want to pay for that, and I don't want that in the bed of my truck. This is for my DD.

Users who are viewing this thread