Stock Cobra hood scoop inserts... Does anyone know where I can get replacements?

ogc

Established Member
So this sucks...

My car was recently backed over by a camper.

Ruined the hood, now I need to replace it.

Insurance co says the scoops are discontinued, and they give me a "cash value" for them and say find them yourself.

Only problem, they dont seem to exist.

Does anyone have any idea where I can find these damn things?

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it.

Rob

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
I believe CJ Pony Parts has them, I have a catalog in my truck... I will go get it... pm me your cell and i will text you the info

4CAMMR

Established Member
Very weird, nobody seems to have the LH side available.

LRS also carries the RH side for $15.99, but does not seem to have the LH side.
1996-98 Mustang RH Cobra Hood Scoop Insert at LRS - Free Shipping!

I even found this old link that has links to the inserts on LRS's website:
mustang cobra hood scoops - Ford Mustang Forums

Here's the old link to the LH side on LRS's website.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-16929B/1996-98-Mustang-Cobra-Lh-Hood-Scoop-Insert

Problem is that the link no longer works. Anyway, I'm sure someone must still have the LH side in stock, but it may take a bit more digging to find a set in stock. Maybe try Tousley Ford and see if they can get both side for you. They are usually great at tracking down hard to find Ford parts.

ogc

Established Member
So ive called these places, unfortunately the inserts they have are just the black mesh piece that sits inside the scoop.

That is the only thing that didnt break I need the plastic painted insert. That the black mesh plastic sits in.

Cobra Jet

Established Member
If all else fails - tell the insurance company you want $200 - and call it fair - then go shopping for a used 96-98 Cobra hood, buy it and remove the parts you need for yours OR just have the body shop re-paint the "new" hood your correct color... If the Insurance Co. balks at the price, look up some classified ads for used 96-98 Cobra hoods and use that as proof for purchase pricing OR even locate a fiberglass replica aftermarket hood as a price point.

Lots of these parts were discontinued from Ford 10 years AFTER original vehicle production dates... You could go to your local Ford Dealer and have them do a Country-wide database search in the massive Ford Dealer inventory to see if ANY exist at another Dealer... but, in most instances, any NOS parts that were left over, were usually sold on a pallet of other parts to aftermarket Ford vendors or "scavengers" that resell misc. parts at parts swap meets.

Try Jim @ PPI - he usually has alot of discontinued Ford Mustang parts. Daniel Carpenter is another one who has NOS Mustang parts. "Green Sales" used to be a big stocker of tons of NOS Ford parts as well, don't know if they still exist or what they have today though.

If you can't get the NOS part from anyone above - definitely go the used route - you'll find a complete hood faster than those small parts.

Last edited:

ogc

Established Member
Give this guy a try. I work with somebody that has had good dealings with him.

MUSTANG PARTS 1974-2004

He is in Pennsylvania, U.S.

Gave him a shout, he had them, sent him a paypal 10 minutes ago.

Ty Lutz is his name, he seemed like a really good guy, just need to wait and see if the product comes through but fingers crossed as he seems to be the only one in North America who has these damned things.

And thanks guys for all the help,

I havent posted here lately, and I forgot how solid a community this easy. Makes me a little teary eyed in a completely hetersexual way. haha.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread