Stock clutch with lightweight flywheel

Zpele

As the title suggests- I need to replace my clutch and want to stay stock (very bad experiences in the past with aftermarket clutches). I am however used to a lightweight flywheel and I love it.

Was wondering if it is possible to add a lightwheight flywheel to the stock clutch without there being any issues. Also wondering what the best option is out there. Price isn't really an issue as long as the part is great and will go in without any problems.

Zpele

If price is no issue why not get a new better clutch since it will all be apart anyway.

Like I said- I have had some very bad experiences in several different cars with after market clutch kits. For now I would like to keep it stock and retain the stock pedal feel but have the engine rev faster. I am switching over to the MGW top-load shifter as well. If my build gets above a certain power level I can look at upgrading to an aftermarket clutch but for now I would like it to remain OEM.

Zpele

Anything you care to elaborate on (for those of us to learn from)?
Nothing with the gt500 it was on one of my previous cars (Mazdaspeed6). It was a giant pain in the ass- the clutch kit was defective from the manufacturer- the clutch fork wasnt making full contact so the clutch pedal literally wouldnt engage anything- had to rev match every gear to get the car to move. I had a very hard time returning the part even once the manufacturer confirmed it was a defect from their end and not installer error.

merkyworks

Established Member
Your comparing a front wheel drive transmission to a rear wheel drive transmission, the two are totally different.

When I get around to replacing my clutch I'm going with a Centerforce DYAD. The DYAD kit includes a new flywheel and it does appear to be lighter than stock.

Zpele

Your comparing a front wheel drive transmission to a rear wheel drive transmission, the two are totally different.

When I get around to replacing my clutch I'm going with a Centerforce DYAD. The DYAD kit includes a new flywheel and it does appear to be lighter than stock.

The speed6 is AWD but I get your point. That being said no one has really answered my question so far. Is there a lightweight (lighter than stock- aluminum or steel, doesn't matter) flywheel on the market that can be used with the stock clutch setup?

1st usa car

Established Member
great question-- I would like to know the answer too.... to add another option is there a flywheel that would work w/ 2013/14 clutch?

blowbye

Bangin gears
Established Member
Just put in a mcleod rxt. I never did a clutch or dropped a tranny ever in my life before doing the one in my gt500. Mcleod instructions are excellent and the whole process was, in hind sight very easy. If you want to stay oem i understand. But i have yet to see a bad review of a mcleod on a gt500.

Sent from my LGLS775 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Zpele

Here is a chat I just had with the guys over at CJ Pony Parts. I will also be contacting some clutch manufacturers directly for more information but this is a start:

Me:
l1j89m.gif
I am looking at replacing the clutch on my 2012 gt500 but the replacement will be oem
Me:
l1j89m.gif
are there any options for a new flywheel to go with the OEM part?
Thomas:
l1j89m.gif
I do not offer any. The oem flywheel and clutch design is not so good, and it is hard to find a non ford flywheel to keep the stock clutch.
Me:
l1j89m.gif
ok- can you tell me why the oem is no good?
Thomas:
l1j89m.gif
It is a dual mass system that will split and cause damage to clutch and flywheel, when you go with a single mass flywheel you need a different clutch to take up some of the shock load put on the drivetrain, the dual mass flywheel would do this from the factory.

centerforce

Established Member
That information is correct. We do not know of any manufacturers that currently make one for the stock clutch because of this. If you weren't planning on changing the cars power level much, it may be best to stick with the stock clutch/flywheel setup.

After talking to some users here on the forum, you may find that there are very few horror stories about clutches from quality aftermarket companies that were installed properly.

Users who are viewing this thread