Stock clutch power limits

USMCTerminator

Established Member
I am trying to figure out where is the weak point in a terminator drive train. I am told the stock clutch is the weak point. If that's the case i am trying to figure out how much power it can handle. Does anyone have first hand experience with any failures in the drivetrain? I would like to do several mods at once and then get the car tuned so I'm not paying to tune it several times.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
No stock clutch is actually very nice and holds up well when driven properly. Weak points are pistons, 10 spline input shaft, and IRS girdle.

cobracide

Established Member
I am trying to figure out where is the weak point in a terminator drive train. I am told the stock clutch is the weak point. If that's the case i am trying to figure out how much power it can handle. Does anyone have first hand experience with any failures in the drivetrain? I would like to do several mods at once and then get the car tuned so I'm not paying to tune it several times.

What mods?

USMCTerminator

Established Member
The car is a 03 with 12k. I bought it last month. It has a Bassani catback and nothing else but I would like to do a Stiegemeier IV along with a smaller pulley and tune. I would like to eventually get around 500rwhp initially atleast. I just want to know of any probelms i can expect and when to expect them so I can set aside the money. Do you guys know when the problems begin? Also, I live in Panama City, Fl. anyone know a good tuner around here?

cobracide

Established Member
Get some good idlers to replace all the stock ones. Metco is good. Save $$ and have POSI do the blower port. You will need a maf/mafia, kb 40A bap, maybe 60# injectors.

Last edited:

blksvtCOBRA714

Established Member
The trick is to do some preventive mods on your car be for your too hard on your car and start breaking things. An IRS brace is sworn by a lot of members on here especially if you are going to be taking your car to the track. Other's swear by the head cooling mod, other's don't, you would have to do some research yourself to see if you think it's neccesary. However, if you are taking your blower off to port it, than it would give you a good time to install it if you did want to do that mod. As for your clutch, you will get a mix of answers on how your stock clutch will hold. It really depends on how you drive your car. Your mods aren't too extreme so as long as you don't dump your clutch often and aren't rough on it in DD, it should last awhile. I'm going on 29k on the stock clutch since I upgraded from basically stock to my power levels around 22k and I haven't had an issue with it yet.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
45,000 miles stock clutch here...gone to the track several times...will need to upgrade in the future...I believe the weakpoints are out halfs shafts, and the 10 spline if you don't have slicks at the track...
OP, BTW, are you on PFOmustangs.com?

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
61k on my stock clutch, 40k of which were pullied. It grips very strong still, but it doesn't have any track miles. Lots of aggressive street driving though.

Rice Eatr

Established Member
I am still running a stock clutch, my best 60' to date has been a 1.47. I think the key is vehicle weight and driving habits.

USMCTerminator

Established Member
Thanks

Thanks for all the info. I also have a 99 which I did the usual bolt ons to but this is new territory for me. I want to make sure I know the best ways to do things so I'm not paying for it later. Any reason for going with posi vs. a steggy? Do they have a website?

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
Hey longshot what mods do you have?

K&N Cone filter w/ heatshield
2.8" Reichard Racing SC pulley (~14 psi)
MotoBlue Idler Pullies
Accufab Throttle Body & Plenum
Bassani Catted X-pipe
SLP loudmouth catback
LDC Head Cooling Mod
LFP Heat Exchanger
NGK TR6 Plugs
Diablosport Predator
Tuned By Unique Tuning - 452whp/460rwtq

+ a hand full of suspension and drivetrain mods.

BlackBeauty44

Snake bitten
Established Member
K&N Cone filter w/ heatshield
2.8" Reichard Racing SC pulley (~14 psi)
MotoBlue Idler Pullies
Accufab Throttle Body & Plenum
Bassani Catted X-pipe
SLP loudmouth catback
LDC Head Cooling Mod
LFP Heat Exchanger
NGK TR6 Plugs
Diablosport Predator
Tuned By Unique Tuning - 452whp/460rwtq

+ a hand full of suspension and drivetrain mods.

Thanks for getting back to me as you can see in the mods in my sig i want to hang on to my stock clutch for as long as possible but i'm trying to be at same the numbers your at but i don't know if i should go with the 2.80 pulley or 2.93 pulley with a 4lbs lower witch would put me closer to 500whp but would i need supporting fuel mods plus would the stock clutch hold up?

Silverboost

Established Member
My current power level with the stock clutch is 602/545 and mine is finally starting to slip. I smoked it pretty good at the track earlier this year and it hasn't been the same since.

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Mine lasted until 15k but the year I had it I was doing a bunch of powerbrake burnouts, so I know why. It was fine until I got into 3rd gear and high at high rpm's.

Users who are viewing this thread