Stock Boost Gauge

5.0 guy

Established Member
My car is supposed to be laying down 16#'s of boost according to Evos info for the Stage 3 kit. I'm barely showing 10#'s on the gauge. Does anyone know if the gauge has a limiter or do you think I'm not getting full boost because I live around 5,800ft elevation? My 03 pegs out with the stock gauge with the 2.8 I'm running so I'm not sure. I know I'm not getting belt slippage because it stay's steady around 10-11#'s and I have the Metco 2.6 upper and Metco idler setup. There site says the plugs need to be gapped at .032, but the kit I have says to gap to .030 would that make the difference in boost?, I'm lost on this one!!! Help anyone??????:shrug:

Last edited:

5.0 guy

Established Member
That's what we were thinking, I'll see if I can have it dyno tuned in Denver . Denver is only 600ft less elevation than me. Thanks!, this car rocks with only 10#s, your cars must be nuts at 16, hopefully I can retune.

500DRAGPAC

Established Member
it could be the gage itself,I met someone who said their gage only goes to 6lbs but they said it was the same stock as it was with a stage2.I have a stage3 but my gage shows about 14lbs?????

5.0 guy

Established Member
My two solutions to the problem are a dyno tune in Denver and I just ordered the Shelby SS gauge pod from their shop in vegas. The gauge pod gives the car that 60's look along with higher boost measurments. I'll keep you informed of what I find out. A friend has a vaccum gauge we can measure the boost from so I'll try that until the SS pod is here in a couple weeks since they are back ordered do to a problem that they were having.
John

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I'm at 5200 ft.. and see about 12 psi max boost.. at 200 ft elevation (which is where I was when I put my 2.8" pulley on, it would peg out around 15 psi.. and make a chit load of power..

5.0 guy

Established Member
My 2.8 pegs out on my 03 but JDM that did it for me about 5 years ago advanced things a bit for the altidude, I still need to have that one dynoed also. I found a guy in Colorado Springs that seemed knowledgable about tuning it for the altitude and dialing it in. He works with SCT equiptment all the time and has done a few GT-500's. I'll probably give him a try just to get it dialed in and save one 91 octain program from Evolution in case I ever trailer her down to Pheonix or Cali.

5.0 guy

Established Member
I'll have my dyno numbers Thursday night, I have to trailer her 4.5 hours through all the passes to get it done but should be well worth the time, I'll keep you posted!

sprint200

Established Member
5.0 guy,

If the vacuum gauge still shows low boost levels, you should check to make sure that the by-pass valve is not stuck slightly open. I've seen a couple of bone stock cars that were only making 6.5-7 psi down at 1200 alt. It turned out to be the by-pass valve...........

Just something else to check.

5.0 guy

Established Member
Great advise! Where do I find it on the 08? I did the bypass mod on the 03 and it was a sinch. This car is so new I don't know much about it yet. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread