stock block for going built?

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
For those of you that have done your own builds, have you used your stock block or do you get a new one and why? What is the list of parts needed to go built? Such as cam gears and such ( not the stuff for the internals of the short block ) Im thinking of going built and I have the money, just not sure of what way to go in terms of how/who does it. I was going to just go with a KB but since that deal fell off AGAIN im thinking of just going built.

RMoore92

Established Member
I reused my stock block and crank. Polished the crank and did machine and bore work to the block.

As far as CAM Gears, I didn't replace them but put on new cams and heads with all the goods that go with that. Replaced the timing chain though.

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
I have a few options, my tuner does builds and great ones at that but its NOT cheap. I have a shop that I have used for years but its a mustang shop, that dont really do lightnings. But the owner is a modular builder and has done god knows how many 4.6 stangs. I could get the work done there for half I bet of what my dyno tuner would do it for.

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
The extra price you pay for your tuner to build it and tune it could pay off in the long run. Just my 2 cents.

you know what thats IN the back of my mind, but the down side is that I would have to leave my truck at his shop and its about 80 miles from me.....that just makes me nervous having my truck so far away where I cant see it or know whats going on with it:uh oh: may sound dumb but thats just me. I really have no doubt that he would do the BEST job, but my god it comes with a Major price tag.

RMoore92

Established Member
you know what thats IN the back of my mind, but the down side is that I would have to leave my truck at his shop and its about 80 miles from me.....that just makes me nervous having my truck so far away where I cant see it or know whats going on with it:uh oh: may sound dumb but thats just me. I really have no doubt that he would do the BEST job, but my god it comes with a Major price tag.

I paid extra then mine I think. $4450 for the small block, labor, machine work, parts, and assembly. I'm glad I did because they checked over everything. I had a few issues with my heads and cams. If they didn't my engine would have locked up when I first fired it up and wasted all that time and money.

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
Just have Arthur build your truck. You will not be disappointed.

Alan

that is a option, but its the most expensive option too. Im juggling some ideas around in my head, and doing a lot of reading on various Lightning sites. Time will tell .....

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
Got a new one.

Here's why.
DSC_0103.jpg

Yes thats daylight all the way thru the block....

Users who are viewing this thread