Stock axles. How much they handle?

dd69a

Established Member
Going Forced induction here soon. Going to be around 600rwhp. Street strip car launching on drag radials. Are my stock axles doomed?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I have 625 Rwhp 500 torque 6 speed tremec and i broke them stupid spider gears so i went with a detroit true trac ford racing 4:10's and strange 31 spline heavy duty axles, the set up works great. A sticky tire and 5000 rpm drops will kill your stock diff in time. If you drive for street fun its gonna be fine. Not to many stories out there about axle failures.

Last edited:

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
The diff is definitely weaker then the axles... I know people that have changed the diff but kept the stock axles... If your changing both, you might as well go 33spline

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I witnessed a spider gear failure as well. He wasn't dumping the clutch, just a fast slip. Dead hook on radial pros and a 150 shot. 75 miles from home too.

50blackout

Established Member
If you didn't have drag radials I would guess you would be ok for a while, but running a sticky tire.......well, that might be putting it on short borrowed time...

Hell BAMA had on one of their "bolt on" buildups an axle break with just a sticky drag radial and clutch. No supercharger just headers and tune....

Good Luck!!! Personally I have always heard good things about Moser axles.

1Quick4.6

Established Member
If you run slicks your probably be ok for a while on stock axles with an m6, it's running drag radials that breaks parts. Most people on this forum have yet to grasp this concept

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread