Stock auto ZL1 runs "11 second quarter miles all day long"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member
According to GM anyway:

Camaro ZL1 Joins the 11-second Club

“The ZL1 is great at everything and we’re very proud of that,” said Tony Roma, Camaro ZL1 program engineering manager. “You can take it to the drag strip and run 11-second quarter-miles all day long. You can also take it to a road course, where it’s balanced, handles well, and does exactly what you want – including lapping Virginia International Raceway’s Grand Course in under three minutes – and yet the ZL1 is sophisticated enough to use as a daily driver. It’s a supercar you can drive every day.”

So I guess "11s all day long" = "11s in the hands of GM engineers, mid 12s in the hands of anyone else", such as Hennessey (12.52):

First ZL1 1/4 Mile Numbers.... (best of 12.04) - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

To my knowledge no one (else) on the face of the planet has run an uncorrected 11 second 1/4 in a stock ZL1, but I guess since GM says it'll do it all day long, it must be true.

Last edited:

Zeroescence

Established Member
According to GM anyway:

Camaro ZL1 Joins the 11-second Club

So I guess "11s all day long" = "11s in the hands of GM engineers, mid 12s in the hands of anyone else", such as Hennessey (12.52):

First ZL1 1/4 Mile Numbers.... (best of 12.04) - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

To my knowledge no one on the face of the planet has run an uncorrected 11 second 1/4 in a stock ZL1, but I guess since GM says it'll do it all day long, it must be true.

:bs:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
all day long huh? the cars have already shown heatsoak issues after two dyno runs, imagine running it down the track just a few times ....and he called it a supercar??? wow they are really out of touch.....makes me sick actually

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member
GM article says the manual ran 11.96. If they'd have only gotten a hundredth of a second faster, they would have tied the time that Evan Smith ran in a GT500 about 3 years ago.

Keep working at it GM, you'll get there!

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
funny thing is all the guys on the other forum realize that the car was run with DR's. so it was not 100% stock, and of course an A6 which is much easier to launch....oh well

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
That's funny as hell that ZL1 has turned out such shit ass quarter mile times in public hands that GM felt the need to put out a press release detailing the just barely 11 second quarter mile they can turn in the car after what I'm sure was many hundreds of drag launches in it.

Notice how SVT hasn't said shit about what they've run? In Chevrolet fanboy world, this is because the 2013 GT500 hasn't done better. The reality is, there's no point. ZL1 is trapping at 116 mph in the real world. That's just laughable. I'm sorry, but it is. If SVT wanted to humiliate the shit out of ZL1, they'd detail the best ET and MPH the 2013 has turned in on an unprepped surface loooong ago.

Last edited:

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
So as stated DR's run with a trap of 116 and 117. Just what everyone keeps saying. How can the people at TSTSNBN can keep going on about it being on the stock tires???? Even their own membership is not safe from the delete post key as things keep disappearing questioning the tires or saying anything other than the car was bone stock. Wow.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Well, turns out the video says and shows DRs, but the GM press release says the times were run on factory rubber, and they brought the DR's just to test.

So who really knows. Certainly the car is capable of running an 11.9 on stock rubber.

BossAnaki

Established Member
They live in LaLa land the mph tells the whole story:nonono: The thing is a pig. It just can't get out of it's own way.

Last edited:

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Well, turns out the video says and shows DRs, but the GM press release says the times were run on factory rubber, and they brought the DR's just to test.

So who really knows. Certainly the car is capable of running an 11.9 on stock rubber.

With a good driver, good track, perhaps. But sure hell is not doing it "All day long" hell even in the video the guy says 12's.

Its not like low 12's are a bad time. But it just seems you cannot get any REAL info on stock runs. This video is just the latest in a long tale of misinformation and slight of hand video's.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
This video just made GM and Team Camaro look like bigger assholes then they already are. Why do they feel the need to coddle owners and future owners? Shouldn't they be on the track or talking "ring" times??

Bringing drag radials to this test did nothing but bring more speculation to what ZL1's are capable off. (pretty much know) GM just looks shady

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
quote from self proclaimed "rogue moderator" steiger...
"that's awesome. Hopefully it'll shut up the mustang fanboys for awhile."
:lol::lol::lol::lol:this overrated pile BARELY broke into the 11s by 7 hundredths of a second on 18" drag radials and we're supposed to be impressed:lol::lol::lol::lol:

01LightningGal

Gloria
Established Member
1.69 and 1.73 60' times are not on stock Goodyears.

Thems be DR times.

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck..............................

Sax1031

Established Member
GM is scared to death of the GT500.

Remember the Boss has went 11.7@117 mph on a drag radial aka factory showroom stock form.

01LightningGal

Gloria
Established Member
I agree. A release like this just reeks of desperation.

You don't see Ford drivers taking Mustangs to dragstrips to prove what they can run.................... after they have already been released................ and making bragging video's about it.

To me, the traps are the biggest issue. WTF is up with that??

Sax1031

Established Member
I agree. A release like this just reeks of desperation.

You don't see Ford drivers taking Mustangs to dragstrips to prove what they can run.................... after they have already been released................ and making bragging video's about it.

To me, the traps are the biggest issue. WTF is up with that??

Exactly what I expected in traps. A majority of 2012 and older GT500s run around the 116-117mph range. The ZL1 has the same power to weight. I do expect some hero 120mph runs though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread