Stock Air Filter.(How good is it)

stanger1

Established Member
Group,
My 13 GT500 has about 9400 miles now and I still have the stock intake and Air filter.

This car will probable stay close to stock, maybe a tune and throttle body, but I see no need for an After Market Cold Air Intake as I have heard that the stock Air filter and Intake are good for around 750 HP, which is way more than I ever plan on.
I always wonder if an After Market AIr Filter alone would be better than stock for particle size pick up, air flow, etc.
I am sure that Ford is happy with how well the stock air filter works, but would a different air filter actually be better?
Reusable yes, but as much as I drive this car, an air filter every 3 years for a stock filter is not bad.
I have seen them for $58.00, so not to bad.
Just worried that if I buy a different air filter, It may not be as good as stock.
Thanks

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
The stock one is decent, a lot of guys do the Airaid filters but they don't have the screen for the ram air turbulence so that might affect some driveability, all the JLT intakes come with a S&B filter that has the screen. I would just use your stock air filter till you deiced to tune it and do a JLT intake.

NJredfire03

Established Member
I went with a KN stock replacement. Didn't think about that screen. But I don't have an idle issues at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoopy49

Established Member
Here is a picture showing the screen in the stock filter compared to an Airaid filter without the screen.

AirFilterComparison_zpsb86a2793.gif

heatsoaked12

Established Member
Just a thought,which ever filter you go with,I would stay away from oiled. I don't have any bad experience but don't like the fact that an over oiled filter may taint your mass air flow sensor.

stanger1

Established Member
Well,
I just ordered a stock air filter from Rock as they had them for $56.00.
I would do an after market, but like Forrest Gump would say. Never know what ya gonna get.

stanger1

Established Member
Thanks for the picture Snoopy 49.
Anybody know the reason for the screen on the stock filter?
Is it for in case the media tears to prevent anything large passing into the engine or is it for air mixing just before air hits the MAS?
Thanks

NJredfire03

Established Member
Thanks for the picture Snoopy 49.
Anybody know the reason for the screen on the stock filter?
Is it for in case the media tears to prevent anything large passing into the engine or is it for air mixing just before air hits the MAS?
Thanks

The screen should help smooth out the turbulent air while passing the mass air meter to give a solid reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread