Stock 97 Cobra + $8000 Budget = What Mods Should I Choose

BCF150

Established Member
Hey guys, I recently purchased a 97 Cobra, mostly stock with less than 50k miles. I’m researching the best path to upgrade the car. I’ve read the sticky about the best mods for these cars and I’ve done a lot of reading about how other people have upgraded their cars.

My question is directed to the people who have modified this model and have experience with the products and the benefits / negatives of them. Would you do the same thing, or something different?

If you had a nearly stock low mileage 97 Cobra, how would you upgrade it with a budget between $8-$10,000 (total including labor)?

Current Modifications:
C&L Cold Air Intake
FRPP Spark Plug Wires
MSD Ignition
Flowmaster 50 series Exhaust
FRPP 4.10 Gears
MGW Short Shifter

I was drawn to this year of Cobra because it’s the car I wanted in high school. My goals for the car are to increase its performance, while trying to maintain reliability and ride comfort. The main uses for the car would be as my fun weekend car and maybe a couple open track events each year. I have no interest in going to the drag strip.

So what would you do?

resz4-1.jpg

Vigilante

Established Member
Last edited:

BCF150

Established Member
Thanks for the response. I have read all the basic sn95 thread stickies and I have researched the basics on the 4v motor in these cars.

I budgeted out the costs to purchase and install the recommended mods and then a few extra that I think will get me where I want to be, but the amount made me a little sick to think about how much I would be sinking into this car.

MM Road & Track Grip Box + Front Coil-Overs = 3700
Bassani Mid-Length Headers, Bassani Catted X-Pipe, Bassani Catback = 2200
Aluminum Driveshaft, MM Clutch Cable Quadrant, Speedcal = 750
03+ Mustang center console, HU, Amps, Speakers = 2000
SS Brake Lines, Hawk Ceramic Pads = 350
Wheels / Tires = 1500+

That list is already at $10,500+ and I haven't even touched the engine, lol. So just wanted to see if there are things that owners would have done different, given the chance. I like to budget out my hobbies, so I'm not broke in the end. My thoughts were to pay cash and spread out the expense over a few years.

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
Turbo and be done with it. Keep the boost low and a conservative tune and you should be fine.

Shop around for some secondhand parts and that should save you some $$.

yefferys50

Established Member
I recommend the following major mods:

Vortech V3 - 4FK218-010L | Vortech Superchargers

Maximum Motorsports starter suspension pack - 1994-98 Mustang Starter Box [SBX-3] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

Kooks stepped longtubes - Kooks 96-98 Cobra 1-5/8" x 1-3/4" Stepped Headers-3" Outlet - Longtube - Headers - Exhaust - 96-98 SVT Cobra

Kooks x-pipe - Kooks 96-98 Cobra 3" Inlet w/2-1/2" Tubing Offroad X-Pipe - Kooks - Mid Pipes - Exhaust - 96-98 SVT Cobra

Throw in some supporting mods like injectors, MAF, tune, etc and you'll have a really fun, fairly quick street car.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
For an open track car? Don't do much to it, and certainly do not install forced induction on it. Money is better spent on seat time and you'll honestly have more fun with a stock-ish car.

What I would do:

1) Full length subframe connectors
2) H&R Race springs
3) Bilstein shocks and struts
4) Stainless brake lines, new fluid, good set of pads
5) Solid steering shaft
6) Lightweight wheels with tires of your choice

Pocket the rest and save it for track days.

Last edited:

cobra 97

Established Member
Id go wet nitrous kit 150shot..410gears full exhaust good tires bigger fuel pump..easy high 11s

bornatiger

Established Member
Tabres pretty much summed up what I was gonna say. Seat time is more important than anything. But, if you must... I would get some coil overs, big brake kit, light rims and track tires (slicks). I would stay n/a, but thats just me. I did this to my 2000 SS and it was a blast on road courses!

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Use that money, purchase an already built up car, remove the pieces you want off it, transfer over stock pieces and resell for the same cost. That is the best way.

mark23svt

Established Member
I'm with tabres start from the ground up, that's what im trying to do just a lot slower lol.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
For an open track car? Don't do much to it, and certainly do not install forced induction on it. Money is better spent on seat time and you'll honestly have more fun with a stock-ish car.

What I would do:

2) H&R Race springs
5) Solid steering shaft

Tabres nailed it pretty good. All I would add to the list is 4:30's or 4:56's and consider a IRS swap.

JaguarS4R

Established Member
Turbo and be done with it. Keep the boost low and a conservative tune and you should be fine.

Shop around for some secondhand parts and that should save you some $$.

x2, either turbo or blower, but either way, def. forced induction and dont go crazy with it

BCF150

Established Member

What I would do:

2) H&R Race springs
5) Solid steering shaft

First off thanks for all the ideas, guys. Second, Tabres your post seems to be the most approved idea. With that being said, why would a mostly stock car be better / more fun than a modified car? Is it skill level or reliability concerns? Honest question, I'm trying to learn.

Also just to be clear I don't want to build this car only for open track events. 98% of its use would be for weekend driving, car meets, mustang club events and weekend getaways with the wife. Just wanted to be clear about it's intended use. It's my weekend stress therapy.

I love the car and the way it looks. It is a blast to drive. I just want to increase its performance level beyond the 1978 Ford Fairmont. But I want to approach it in a cost effective well researched plan.

BCF150

Established Member
Buy an 03 Cobra.

I considered that option. But it was buy this car and have it payed off in about 9 mths or finance the 03 for 3 years. Plus I wanted a 96-98 Cobra because its been a favorite of mine since they came out.

With the economy the way it is I didnt want to be tied to a car payment that long, especially just a fun car.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Having had FI I would not recommend it for a stock engine. You could do a "C" head swap and ported short runner intake which would give you a bump in hp/tq.

Users who are viewing this thread