Stock 97, 79K miles. What would you pay?

djsKS93

meh.
Established Member
Found a bone stock 97 Cobra at a dealership about 2hrs away. It looks amazingly clean in the photos. It even still has the running horse in the grill. The car just looks great all around. If you were looking for one, what would you pay for a stock Cobra with 79k on it.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Depends on my what my goals were for the car. If I was planning on modding it a bit and wasn't concerned about its stock state. Maybe 6K?

If I wanted a clean stock car to cruise in. Add 500-1000.

djsKS93

meh.
Established Member

svtrickey

Established Member
I bought my stock mystic w/62k miles for $6,200. I put in $2k in paint now and it looks perfect. $11k is crazy high!!!! I wouldn't pay more then $5-7

djsKS93

meh.
Established Member
I expected the dealer to be priced high, just didn't know what they were going for in stock condition. I'm trying to gather all the info I can before getting into pricing with the dealer.

00_silvergt

Established Member
I paid $6,600 for a 97 cobra with 86,xxx miles. Mostly stock, it had a short shifter, underdrive crank pulley and eibach springs. And oem cobra r wheels. I bought it in February of this year. I wouldn't pay more than $7,500 for that car. But that's just me.
2011-02-17144708.jpg

Last edited:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
May just be my way of thinking, but I'd expect anything with a polished intake and valve-covers would have been fiddled with at some point. I wouldn't give over 7k for that car.

pacific4v

Established Member
There is clean, 85,000 mile 97 cobra in my town for $7500. It's by a private party tho, not a dealer. It's very lightly modded, just 18" rims and a catback. I paid $7500 for my 97, it has a few blemishes but it had a lot of desirable aftermarket parts on it already and a freshly built forged stroker motor tho.

crr084

Established Member
A Rio Red! I'm a bit biased since I own one, but a 97' is just a good year. Its the last year of having the dash clock, STB, and even has the same wear on the radio buttons as mine, lol. Looks nice, polished intake/ valve covers! I bought my from a private seller with 42k original miles, all stock last year for high 8. The dealer is asking a ton for the car with the mileage, next year it'll be 15 years old. They couldn't even wash it before taking the pictures and it still looks good. I'd say my max I'd pay from a dealer would be 8-8.5 which is about 1k-2k too much (for value of the car, check out edmunds.com vs kbb), but if you like that color red and if thats what you really want (then cost isn't really a factor), then try and go for the above suggested prices. The dealer might hold out and say no, because I can guarantee someone out there as silly as it may sound will pay their asking price whether it be 1 month or 6 months from now. Looks clean though, good luck man!

Last edited:

prototypepariah

Established Member
Is there any sort of warranty involved? I'd guess no but if they are throwing some 6month/6k mile thing in, that would be worth a small amount over the cars price.

I paid $8500 for my 98 vert; from a private seller, in just about perfect condition paint wise, 49k, with a few things done to it. Near philly, which I think would bump the price up slightly.

It sounds like they've aimed way high with 11k, looks like they want like $9500 for it, that's steep. If they are giving you no assurances via warranty that it's in perfect shape, i'd move on.
I would say

Badfish4.6

Established Member
it depends on where you are at aswell. in alaska i payed 9k for mine bone stock with 62000. Blue book was a little higher then that in fact....

Users who are viewing this thread