Stock 93 Cobra, what supercharger to use?

big frank

Stang Freak
Established Member
I have a stock 93 Cobra that wouldbe a really fun car supercharged. What blower kit would be usable and what else other than the blower kit would I need to change? Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

MG_93

Established Member
Do yourself a favor and buy a kit from anderson ford motorsport (stage II kit). You will save yourself a ton of money in the long run due to the typical upgrades people end up doing to the S-trim kits they get from anywhere else. I could have saved myself at least 1,500-2,000 if I would have know about this in the first place.

http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/

You will also need to get a Pro-M mass air meter calibrated for the 38 lb injectors. If you have any more money I would also recommend you get a UEGO 2000 wideband so you don't have to shell out money to go to the dyno to tune.

Since you also have a 1993 cobra, I would recommend you call Anderson Ford Motorsport and ask if they can set you up with a kit for 12 lbs a boost instead of 14 lbs (different crank or supercharger pulley) so you don't risk hurting your engine by putting to much boost to it. You can benefit alot more performance wise by just getting a good set of heads (AFR 165, or TW) later on down the road when the itch bites again for more performance.

I know have this setup in my 93 cobra (only difference being 42 lb injectors vs 38) and I get 420 to the wheels. I'm planning on upgrading soon to AFR's or TW to get more power down low, and over the entire power band. This is just my opinion based on my experience and I'm sure others will have theirs so take it for what it's worth..

big frank

Stang Freak
Established Member
MG_93 said:
Do yourself a favor and buy a kit from anderson ford motorsport (stage II kit). You will save yourself a ton of money in the long run due to the typical upgrades people end up doing to the S-trim kits they get from anywhere else. I could have saved myself at least 1,500-2,000 if I would have know about this in the first place.

http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/

You will also need to get a Pro-M mass air meter calibrated for the 38 lb injectors. If you have any more money I would also recommend you get a UEGO 2000 wideband so you don't have to shell out money to go to the dyno to tune.

Since you also have a 1993 cobra, I would recommend you call Anderson Ford Motorsport and ask if they can set you up with a kit for 12 lbs a boost instead of 14 lbs (different crank or supercharger pulley) so you don't risk hurting your engine by putting to much boost to it. You can benefit alot more performance wise by just getting a good set of heads (AFR 165, or TW) later on down the road when the itch bites again for more performance.

I know have this setup in my 93 cobra (only difference being 42 lb injectors vs 38) and I get 420 to the wheels. I'm planning on upgrading soon to AFR's or TW to get more power down low, and over the entire power band. This is just my opinion based on my experience and I'm sure others will have theirs so take it for what it's worth..

Great info. I wold be happy with 300-350 to the rear wheels. I'm not looking to hit the drag strip with it, just want to have enough HP to smoke a few guy on the street when I need to. REliability is more important than TONS of HP for this car. It's a nice car, but I drive it. My Shelby will eventually get a vintage Paxton on it when finished, and will probably be a handfull if I want to run a street monster. I'll look into Anderson when I get to that point. Thanks again...

5litericeater

93notch
Established Member
I have the a Procharger on mine aqnd love it, its the P1. It works awsome, i have about 8K miles on it now and not 1 problem, i even drove the car from Phoenix AZ to WA.

big frank

Stang Freak
Established Member
5litericeater said:
I have the a Procharger on mine aqnd love it, its the P1. It works awsome, i have about 8K miles on it now and not 1 problem, i even drove the car from Phoenix AZ to WA.

What kind of HP are you putting to the wheels?

fast02gt

Established Member
if you want 300 to 350 the wheels do a nice head,cam,intake package with fuel. more reliable and not as much money. blower is anywhere from 3000 to 4000 grand, depending where u buy it from, and if you get the intercooler. Then you need a tune.. it gets pretty expensive. Some Afr 165's, trick flow street or track intake, or an elderbrock rpm2 and w/e cam I like anderson cams. but with a combo like i just stated, you can make anywhere from 310-330 at the wheels.. upgrade your fuel pump, injectors, mass air of course. I have always liked good runing all motor cars! hell if you really wanna be cheap throw on a 100 shot. I run a 100 dry kit on my 91 GT makes 340 at the wheels.. all together with a fuel pump, a 1 hour dyno tune and the kit about 600 bucks :) hope that helped ya some.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
do a vortech kit. They are great blowers and can be done for the cheap! The parts for them are very easy to find. They love the interstate and the drag strip!

big frank

Stang Freak
Established Member
fast02gt said:
if you want 300 to 350 the wheels do a nice head,cam,intake package with fuel. more reliable and not as much money. blower is anywhere from 3000 to 4000 grand, depending where u buy it from, and if you get the intercooler. Then you need a tune.. it gets pretty expensive. Some Afr 165's, trick flow street or track intake, or an elderbrock rpm2 and w/e cam I like anderson cams. but with a combo like i just stated, you can make anywhere from 310-330 at the wheels.. upgrade your fuel pump, injectors, mass air of course. I have always liked good runing all motor cars! hell if you really wanna be cheap throw on a 100 shot. I run a 100 dry kit on my 91 GT makes 340 at the wheels.. all together with a fuel pump, a 1 hour dyno tune and the kit about 600 bucks :) hope that helped ya some.
The problem with some of that is that I live in Cali and it has to smog. Most of the blowers have a CARB rating and are smog legal in the 50 states. Im not a NO2 guy. Thanks!

big frank

Stang Freak
Established Member
LS1Killer said:
do a vortech kit. They are great blowers and can be done for the cheap! The parts for them are very easy to find. They love the interstate and the drag strip!

I have a friend that had a Vortec system on an 01 and loved it. Paxton makes a system specificaly for the 93 Cobra. I emailed them yesterday, but havent heard back from them yet. Thanks...

TheSVTKid

Established Member
I have the following on my Rides....

93 Cobra: Vortech S trim, set to 10psi with Meth. Injection.

92 LX: ATI ProCharger D1SC, with twin hi-flow intercoolers.

Both work great, it's kinda nice not to have to fill up the Meth. tank on the D1SC car. Eitherway, both blowers are proven to make great power!

EA

big frank

Stang Freak
Established Member
E.A. said:
I have the following on my Rides....

93 Cobra: Vortech S trim, set to 10psi with Meth. Injection.

92 LX: ATI ProCharger D1SC, with twin hi-flow intercoolers.

Both work great, it's kinda nice not to have to fill up the Meth. tank on the D1SC car. Eitherway, both blowers are proven to make great power!

EA

At 10psi on the Vortec, do you really need the methanol? On that car, is the engine stock, or what mods do you have on it? How about HP on the Vortec car?

big frank

Stang Freak
Established Member
QuickstangSVT said:
94 Cobra Vortech S-trim stock pulley, stock motor, pulled 326rwhp and 350rwtq.

That is right about where I wasn to be on HP and torque. I bet that is a reliable ride, and has the balls to dust off a few guys when needed. I need the car to be very reliable, as I get the urge to hit the road and do a 1000 mile trip on ocasion.

big frank

Stang Freak
Established Member
94SN95 said:
how bout kenne-bell 8lbs will give you about 320-330 at the wheels and a bout 400-430 rwtq :rockon:

That would be cool, but I think that would make a hood change manditory, right?

I guess I should have mentioned that I would like to keep the car as stock as possible. An the stuff I do put on it, I would like to be able to pull it off and make the car stock again if needed. It also has to pass smog in California. A basic bolt of supercharger kit with tune would make all of this possible.

For what its worth, I like the Kenne Bell blowers the best, except for the $$$

fast02gt

Established Member
well a vortech with everything ur gonna need is gonna cost 3500 or so depending on where u buy from.. then u have install.. unless u install it yourself. The cost is gonna be about the same I would think.

big frank

Stang Freak
Established Member
fast02gt said:
well a vortech with everything ur gonna need is gonna cost 3500 or so depending on where u buy from.. then u have install.. unless u install it yourself. The cost is gonna be about the same I would think.

Agreed. But with the supercharger, I can be assured to meet somog standards here in California. The heads/cam/intake, etc. way I may not be able to meet smog.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
Check out this website. http://www.superchargersonline.comThey carry everything you would ever need to put a vortech or paxton s/c on there. It shouldnt really cost you $3500. That price is marked WAAAY up. Look for a better deal. I had mine done for $2k tuned and everything but its a used head unit, everything else is new. Bought the parts off that site and found a head unit on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread