Stock 13" Rotors Brembo vs ?

1993R

Established Member
I know we have discuused this before but I was going to replace the rotors on the R due to them being cracked. I know some of you were happy with the stock Brembos available at Tire Rack and others were happy with alternate sources such as NAPA. Anybody have an opinion?

Ron 1995 R

Established Member
Ford Racing offers some nice 13" drilled and slotted rotors for the front of Cobras.

1993R

Established Member
The only time I ever used drilled and slotted rotors I cracked them in 15 minutes at Road Atlanta. So I'm not a big fan. I'm easy on brakes too.......

Ron 1995 R

Established Member
I doubt you'll be happy with over the counter parts at NAPA given your comment above, sounds like you need some serious brake rotors and pads. There is nothing 'easy' about road racing.

Have you tried Baer? They have several types of rotors and composite rotors available; sounds like you may need a ceramic alloy rotor and some trick pads or possibly something like:

http://www.baer.com/products/rotors/eradispeed-plus.php

Even the Eradispeed plus 1 or plus 2 rotors and caliper brackets may fit your needs by increasing the brake pad contact area on the rotor and reducing brake temperatures.

Last edited:

95R#177

Established Member
I just use the stock replacements (solid cast iron, no drilling) from NAPA. My car is used exclusively for the track and I have not had any rotor problems.

When I first joined the forum, the old timers cautioned me about using rotors with drilling at the track, and I listened. I haven't regretted it. The Performance Friction '01' compound race-ready pads were also recommended, and those have also worked great for me.

In the future, I may go to the Brembo 00R front brake set-up. If I do, I'll stick with the stock rotors too. Those have slots, but not holes, and I don't think the guys here have had problems with them at the track.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
I work at NAPA and the only rotors i can get are drilled and I passed. I am using the Bendix premium rotor from Advance right now. I have run 3 days at Roebling Road-practice and two race days, 3 days at VIR-same, 2 days at RRR again HPDE 3. 8 Track days and they are still good.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
1993R said:
I know we have discussed this before but I was going to replace the rotors on the R due to them being cracked.

1993R said:
Anybody have an opinion?
I have an opinion. It's worth what you paid for it :-D .

Exactly how much is it cracked? This is cracked:

crack.gif

Small little cracks are normal.

It also depends on what use you are planning for your car. The preparation of a planned AI/AIX national car is much different than the preparation of an OT car. The plan for a 10-lap dash race car is much different than that of an enduro car.

I always bed in pads with a used rotor and bed in a new rotor with used pads.

Nonetheless, you can spend $3000+ on a new brake package. If so, I'd suggest that you keep the original parts.

1993R

Established Member
Just need some OEM stuff ...The rotors look like that but they are the originals and I cracked them the last time you rode around with me Doc......L

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I've always used the brembo rotors and been very happy with them. They are cheap and seem to be pretty durable.

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
I've always used the brembo rotors and been very happy with them. They are cheap and seem to be pretty durable.
I completely agree with Mark. Many open track guys and racers, myself included, use(d) standard Brembo rotors. Cheap and reliable. We are talking disposable parts here, so heat checking is fine, but pitch them when they get more serious. I usually got 3 full events out of them.

If you are super serious and use your car primarily for track instead of street driving, you may want to consider 2 piece rotors. The initial cost is $$$ so I see little reason to waste your money if you only do occasional track events. I tried slotted rotors for a while and like many do not see any significant improvement. FWIW, I had a set of Baer rotors once and despite proper seasoning they warped very early. I'm not saying Baer is bad, but I don't see any one brand superior to another. My advice.... just go with the plain Brembos from TireRack.

Users who are viewing this thread