Stock '13 GT500 at Roebling Road

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Went to Roebling again this weekend with Flatout Motorsports. Saturday was a few wet sessions in the rain, but it cleared off later in the morning on Sunday. I was able to squeeze in 'almost' four sessions.
Best lap time was a 1:22.7 with a bunch of 1:23's.
uyio.jpg

Video from my last session...
GT500 at Roebling Road with Flatout Motorsports, February 2nd 2014 - YouTube
[youtube_browser]cy1MsJOsUm0[/youtube_browser]
Car is still bone stock with Motul RBF660 brake fluid and on stock F1's. Vmax on front straight into turn 1 was 151-152 mph.
S.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Very cool, for comparison sake, what is considered a really good fast time at that track?

SteveWK

Established Member
Nice job. Looks like you were flying down the long straight.

I love road racing and can hardly wait until it gets warmer here; eight inches of snow predicted for tomorrow. I spent all of my time last year at Hallett Raceway in Oklahoma. A much tighter and hilly track. The track bug has bitten me, and I'm replacing my entire suspension with a Griggs rear and Griggs/BMR hybrid front from Revan Racing. This year I am going practice heel and tow down shifting until it becomes automatic, and read the book Van recommended (Going Faster! Mastering the Art of Race Driving) and apply its principles. Actually I need to write out a plan and stick to it. Anyway, my first track day is suppose to be in 3 weeks at Hallett. I hope it warms up before then.

Steve

Last edited:

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Nice work. How'd the tires hold up?
Good, but Saturday was a washout. I ran two sessions in the rain, which was better than sitting under the canopy in the pits. However, I think they would have been fine even if I ran all sessions both days.
It's getting fresh tires for Homestead in March.
S.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Nice job. Looks like you were flying down the long straight.

I love road racing and can hardly wait until it gets warmer here; eight inches of snow predicted for tomorrow. I spent all of my time last year at Hallett Raceway in Oklahoma. A much tighter and hilly track. The track bug has bitten me, and I'm replacing my entire suspension with a Griggs rear and Griggs/BMR hybrid front from Revan Racing. This year I am going practice heel and tow down shifting until it becomes automatic, and read the book Van recommended (Going Faster! Mastering the Art of Race Driving) and apply its principles. Actually I need to write out a plan and stick to it. Anyway, my first track day is suppose to be in 3 weeks at Hallett. I hope it warms up before then.

Steve

I was wondering if you were shooting for that event. Do you have everything installed and ready to go? I'm a "maybe" for that event until I see what the weather is going to look like.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Very cool.

It's a nice video but I think it's better when the camera is inside the car. Jmho.:beer:

How do you like the z51 compared to the Shelby and will you be a buyer for the new zo6?
I've found that in some light with the camera inside the car, you can't see out of the windshield. But I agree and need to figure out what settings work best to mount it inside on the backlight. I did that a few weeks ago at Sebring, but after half a lap the rough course caused the mount to swing loose and the camera was facing the backseat. :lol1: I've gotten kind of lazy about putting a camera on the car.

Obviously the C7 will outrun the GT500 on the technical portions of probably any track. It's got a lower CoG, is far lighter and has a superior suspension. My guess would be it'll carry much more speed into and out of turns, and only on straights of moderate or greater length will the GT500 recover. I haven't tracked my C7 yet, and am hoping to get it to a 1-day event that's relatively close so I can drive there in the morning and then back home after my last session. I don't really plan on turning it into my regular track car, but am curious how it will do with the same driver. There's a good chance that I'll run a few sessions at Daytona with it in April.

FYI...this is from Sebring a few weeks ago. This is a driver coach I've used a few times who wanted shoot some video. It looks like he's going to have a ride with the Momo Porsche team soon. He got a pretty decent resume (won 12-hours at Sebring with BMW, ran Indy Lights, etc.).
[youtube_browser]rcj-uBhv3Lo[/youtube_browser]
S.

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I've found that in some light with the camera inside the car, you can't see out of the windshield. But I agree and need to figure out what settings work best to mount it inside on the backlight. I did that a few weeks ago at Sebring, but after half a lap the rough course caused the mount to swing loose and the camera was facing the backseat. :lol1: I've gotten kind of lazy about putting a camera on the car.

Obviously the C7 will outrun the GT500 on the technical portions of probably any track. It's got a lower CoG, is far lighter and has a superior suspension. My guess would be it'll carry much more speed into and out of turns, and only on straights of moderate or greater length will the GT500 recover. I haven't tracked my C7 yet, and am hoping to get it to a 1-day event that's relatively close so I can drive there in the morning and then back home after my last session. I don't really plan on turning it into my regular track car, but am curious how it will do with the same driver. There's a good chance that I'll run a few sessions at Daytona with it in April.

I'd love for you to drive both cars on the same day at the same track. You would remove a lot of variables that way: You're familiar with both cars, same day, same driver, same temps, same track, etc. :beer:

svt1111

Established Member
Good stuff in this thread!

I got hooked on track days when I first got my Boss 302. I've been super curious how you guys like the 2013/14 GT500's on track, what with the weight and all. Been reading all tue threads I can on the topic.

The book "Going Faster" is excellent. Last summer, one of our in class instructors at Lime Rock was a contributing author for the book, having worked years ar Skip Barber. His name eludes me at this time but was a great guy.

I strongly recommend to anyone who tracks their cars to get out on the track during rain sessions. I was terrified just before I tried it but by the end of the session, I felt much more confident in the dry to begin practicing rotating the car to my skill level, since the rain permitted a much slower pace to experience car control.

Snowman- do you post on any of the Porsche forums? Curious why you went with the 991 Turbo over the new GT3? Either way, I'm jealous!

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Good, but Saturday was a washout. I ran two sessions in the rain, which was better than sitting under the canopy in the pits. However, I think they would have been fine even if I ran all sessions both days.
It's getting fresh tires for Homestead in March.
S.

Running in the rain is a great way to learn car control and how to be on line.

Tom

SteveWK

Established Member
I was wondering if you were shooting for that event. Do you have everything installed and ready to go? I'm a "maybe" for that event until I see what the weather is going to look like.

Nothing is installed yet. Time and weather have been an issue for me. I am going if the weather is good, and by good I mean reasonably warm and no precipitation. How about you?

Users who are viewing this thread