Stock 03 Cobra vs Bolt-On LS1

Saw a red 03 Cobra coupe at the Musclecar Shootout on Saturday. Oh man it was absolutely beautiful :thumbsup:

However it had different wheels than I've seen on other 03 Cobras and the interior was black/red and I think it said 10th Anniversary :shrug: I haven't seen an 03 like this before, but I know for sure it was an 03.

Anyway, I will say it was very hot (90+ degrees) and the dewpoint was in the 60s. I know the density altitude was at least 3000+. But the track prep was excellent. Brainerd just re-did the track and it's concrete the whole way down the 1/4 :eek: A lot of people broke because the starting line was so sticky.

There was a beautiful 6-speed 2000 SS Camaro there and his mods are: airlid, 4.10 gears, BFG DRs. He said he hadn't run an 03 Cobra yet and many people had told him there was no way a bolt-on LS1 could beat a stock Cobra. So he lined up against the Cobra just to see how he would fare.

It wasn't pretty :( The Camaro ran a 12.72 at 110 and the Cobra ran a 13.9 at 103. Throughout the day the best the Cobra ran between 13.9 and 14.2 and trapped between 103 and 105. The Camaro ran consistently in the low 12.60s and trapped 110 consistently.

Maybe the Cobra guy didn't want to beat on his brand new car :shrug: or just plain didn't know how to drive. From what I saw, it looked/sounded like he was at least speed-shifting. Who knows.

I guess he's going to have to learn how to drive and do some small mods (and wait for better air). :(

BAD03SVT

Established Member
that is not a good representation for a stock cobra. i did run a 12.72 with just a filter though. now in the 11s though.

Silver 03 Cobra

He definatley needs some practise. The Dr's will make a huge difference. I ran a full bolt-on LS1 back in Feb. He made a pass and spun the whole length of the track. I did see him run some low to mid-12's.

I decided to run. A buddy of mine was standing at the gate and the SS owner walks up. He didn't know Mark was with me and he started trashing my car saying the 03's were over rated and were dyno queens. I launched and I hit the dump valve in second and limped to a 13 something. Mark said the SS owner was laughing and saying he could beat me by 10 cars. I pull directly back to the line since not many were running. The SS dude was smoking these skinny cigars. I hit everything good on that pass. My time came up at 11.52 and Mark said the SS owner started choking and hacked up his cigar. I added a four pound lower in June and ran a 11.39 at FFW in VA with a full tank of pump gas on a 100 degree day. It'll run 10's this fall as it sits now. One word that describes the 03 perfectly, "Potential".

Last edited by a moderator:
No doubt the 03 Cobra has tremendous potential. The air was crappy and I figured out that the density altitude was over 3600 feet. :eek: I also think the Cobra driver could use some practice.

There was one guy on here (I think his name is "Terminator03") who was arguing that a bone stock Cobra will beat any bolt-on LS1 any time even when the 03 has an average driver. :rollseyes This is just one situation where he was proven false.

However, slap a few mods on that Cobra and watch out! :rolling:

Mcteague

Banned
Being an LS1er my feeling is who cares about stock. It's the modded 03's we have to compete with. Gets expensive to compete but it's damn fun trying to get there. Also fun switching to underdog status. :rolling:

MekkadonZ28

Originally posted by Mcteague
Being an LS1er my feeling is who cares about stock. It's the modded 03's we have to compete with. Gets expensive to compete but it's damn fun trying to get there. Also fun switching to underdog status. :rolling:

agreed:thumbsup:

cscollis

Established Member
I like being the underdog. wink wink. When a fast cars pulls up beside me on the street or at the track I just look over and wink.

I have raced some 03's in Ennis and won everytime although some were very close. Its not about power its about getting the power down the track. A 1.8 60' and a 12.2 to 12.4 at 112-113 is pretty good for a automatic car that only dynos 330. I know I will meet a fast one soon a guy that runs 11's in his 03 is going to meet me this weekend at Denton and I suspect my first 03 loss.

Sad thing is I ran my best time on street tires and now have bfg's and cant beat my best time. I am hoping for 11's in cooler weather and open cutouts on my exhaust!

I say bring the 03's on, that will make me add the bottle and run high tens!

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Good thing about the SS or the Vet, they can launch much easier then the 03 Cobra's.

Its the hardest car i have to learn on the launch but id say the driver didnt know how to drive.......& no that car does not represent good times that i can do.

Mcteague

Banned
03 run low 10's? Are you talking a street driven car? I could see a drag prepped KB 03 run those numbers but full weight? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

cscollis

Established Member
My vette will be street driven full weight! 3500lbs with me driving. On a 150 shot my car would pickup a conseritive 120 rwhp and more torque. That should put me right around 10.9999 in the 1/4 at 122. I currently run 12.2 at 113. I havent put the bottle on yet but it will happen someday!

captain4g63

Idiot
Established Member
03 run low 10's? Are you talking a street driven car? I could see a drag prepped KB 03 run those numbers but full weight? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Nitrous Pete. He ran at least a 10.5s at 133 with the Eaton. Just simple bolt-ons and 60 shot. Many run mid 11s with the Eaton and no juice. 200 shot anyone?

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
You're corrected :)

Some lost a little weight with a live axle, Pete added it on with an automatic... I think there are three in the 9's (stock-ish weight).

This may be a little "off topic", but how do 03 Cobras respond to nitrous? Is it relatively safe? I haven't heard of many people using nitrous (maybe because they didn't need it ;-) )

ZeroSpinn

Car Mod Addict
Established Member
stock weight?

You're corrected :)

Some lost a little weight with a live axle, Pete added it on with an automatic... I think there are three in the 9's (stock-ish weight).

I think Nitrous Pete's is in the mags now as being the first in the 9's. Don't remember exactly what it said about it. But I remember another a few mags back, I think PHP's 03, to run 10's they took out like 400lbs. or something.

LSs1Power

Established Member
Originally posted by AmericanMuscle1

Throughout the day the best the Cobra ran between 13.9 and 14.2 and trapped between 103 and 105.

103-105mph for a stock 03 is not right at all. Even if his 60ft was 3.0sec he should still trap higher than that. I think he have some sort of a problem he should look at it. Hell my 99 Cobra after the recall fix used to trap 103mph stock and 13.6 sec in the 1/4mile.

Users who are viewing this thread