Stock 03 Cobra Flywheel Resurfacing

my92gt

Established Member
I'm getting ready to install a 26 spline input shaft, FRPP TOB, LP TOB sleeve, and a McLeod RXT clutch.. My Question is do I replace the flywheel friction plate or do I just resurface the flywheel? Any Help would be greatly appreciated.:beer::beer:

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
You have to send the flywheel to McLeod to have them remove and install a new steel insert. They are riveted in so you can't just unbolt and replace it yourself like the Fidanza flywheels. IIRC McLeod is the company that manufactured the flywheels for the 03-04 cobras and they are the ones that can service it.

DO NOT take the flywheel to get resurfaced at your local machine shop, it will be ruined if you do.

smitty2919

Established Member
I have read numerous times you can and people have resurfaced a stock flywheel...

I could maybe get a deal on a 03 cobra one to put in my mach with a new clutch next week. I figured the "aluminum" flywheel would be a nice upgrade.

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
You have to send the flywheel to McLeod to have them remove and install a new steel insert. They are riveted in so you can't just unbolt and replace it yourself like the Fidanza flywheels. IIRC McLeod is the company that manufactured the flywheels for the 03-04 cobras and they are the ones that can service it.

DO NOT take the flywheel to get resurfaced at your local machine shop, it will be ruined if you do.

Wrong.

Factory 03/04 cobra flywheels CAN be resurfaced one time. Most guys just upgrade to a new flywheel which is perfectly acceptable. However, if your stock flywheel has not been resurfaced at all during its life, it can be done. Once it is resurfaced one time, it CANNOT be turned again. A good machine shop that knows what they're doing will properly resurface the stock flywheel as well as tell you the same thing I have just stated. A proper resurface includes a 2 step lathing process, straight edge ruled and balance checked for proper clutch geometry. Once the flywheel has been resurfaced once, there will not be enough remaining material to resurface it again down the road and it will then need to be replaced.

MTBSully

Established Member
Sorry to Hijack for a second here but, I have a used mcleod steel flywheel and I want to do a 26 spline RXT clutch in the near future. Do I need to have the mcleod steel flywheel resurfaced? How much does that usually run, and does it have to be done at mcleod?

Thanks

08mojo

Established Member

this is the second time you have bumped a thread that is over a year old...don't know how much more response you will get from the OP...:shrug:

To answer the last question posted in 2011, there are MANY people running the Fidanza flywheel with great results.

Last edited:

08mojo

Established Member
Sorry to Hijack for a second here but, I have a used mcleod steel flywheel and I want to do a 26 spline RXT clutch in the near future. Do I need to have the mcleod steel flywheel resurfaced? How much does that usually run, and does it have to be done at mcleod?

Thanks

How is the surface of the flywheel? If I was about to install a $1000 clutch, I would not skip out on the $125 cost to have the flywheel rebuilt...or at least resurfaced.

To rebuild a stock aluminum flywheel, McLeod charges $125 plus shipping. If the steel McLeod flywheel has a replaceable friction ring, I would assume it would cost the same. If your flywheel can be resurfaced, most shops charge less than $50.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread