still runnin hot as he**.... wtf?

LtDavis

Established Member
Try installing a larger pulley on the water pump. It slows the flow of coolant and will allow it to cool more in the radiator. I know it sounds funny but if your coolant is flowing real fast it simply does not spend much time in the radiator.

No that makes sense to me, especially since the motor is spinning fairly high at highway speeds due to the 3.73s. I did ditch the underdriven WP pulley for the stock one a while back but I couldn't find a Cobra pulley which I read is bigger so I gave up. I'll have to start looking again.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Black magic fans in my opinion are.junk.
I run a Taurus two speed fan and a stock cobra size pulley and never have an issue.
Taurus fan and a controller leaves lots of cash left over for beer.

LtDavis

Established Member
The "extreme" black magic is a little better than the original but I have been feeling like Flex-A-Lite doesn't put much testing and engineering into their e-fans. I've been thinking for over a year now about going to the taurus fan with DCC controller but I don't like how it still uses the rad temp probe even though the DCC guy says nothings wrong with it. I see flex-a-lite sells a whole new relay/thermostat box with a 1/4 npt fitting to screw into your coolant line but its like $150 by its self... screw that.

And I just did find a Cobra WP pulley at Mustangs Unlimited but they claim its smaller and makes the coolant flow faster (like you would expect an underdrive pulley to do) but they call it an overdrive pulley:

"On 1993 Cobras, the crankshaft pulley was reduced in size by 14% to underdrive the other accessories for more power but the drawback was slower spinning water pump. To solve this problem, Ford also reduced the size of the water pump pulley by 14% to bring back the lost coolant flow.
Stamped with the Ford logo & the original F3ZZ-8509-A part #. This over-drive pulley that accelerates water pump delivering greater coolant volume to 1979-1993 5.0L engines without cavitation issues."

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
John dont lie to this nice people. I know you beat the shit out of that car lol. Get the air dam reflector in there asap. That is a big no no. The GT suffers bad from lack of air that can get to the engine. I would also suggest the cobra grill insert to help open up the front. Also get a mark VIII fan. They pull a ton of air.

LtDavis

Established Member
I don't think I was understanding correctly. So an underdrive water pump pulley will actually be the bigger one and slow the coolant flow, correct? So I definitely don't want to go with Cobra pulley since its smaller and will speed up the water pump?

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I don't think I was understanding correctly. So an underdrive water pump pulley will actually be the bigger one and slow the coolant flow, correct? So I definitely don't want to go with Cobra pulley since its smaller and will speed up the water pump?

Yes, and in most cases the fox cars just suffer from low alt charging. About the best ones I ever ran were march.

LtDavis

Established Member
Yes, and in most cases the fox cars just suffer from low alt charging. About the best ones I ever ran were march.

I have a 3g 130amp but never put the underdrive on it. I already have the ASP aluminum set but really the crank pulley is the only one I still have on. I'll have to dig out the WP one and swap it on. Thanks for the help.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I have a 3g 130amp but never put the underdrive on it. I already have the ASP aluminum set but really the crank pulley is the only one I still have on. I'll have to dig out the WP one and swap it on. Thanks for the help.

You will be ok with the 3g. It is the 75-80 amp stockers, that I am talking about.

DarkMach1

Established Member
The issue is NOT the fan if it's relatively new. I have a black magic extreme and I hold 165-170 all day long in south Florida weather. If the stat is new and the pump is new then I would have to lean towards the radiator. Has it been on the car long? What brand? It could be fouled. Is the car tuned correctly? It can also be a lean condition, also make sure your timing is set correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread